So where is everybody?

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
JBiscuitz
Mantis

So where is everybody?

Post by JBiscuitz »

Hi, I have been playing tremulous off and on for about 5-6 years. I fell off the bandwagon about 2 years ago (my old handle was ISaidWaaAAhhHH!) and just recently came back to find a very empty community of players as well as some of my favorite servers offline (Beer Garden, SST to name a few). So I was wondering, as I still see that there is a small following of players still dedicated to playing basic tremulous (albeit only on ATCS most of the time), why are more people not playing this modded version?

I downloaded the client and hopped onto one of the three empty servers to have a look around and what I found in the alpha build was very impressive!

I think everything looks great and am just very surprised that not more people are playing in the build as to offer good feedback to the team that is obviously working very hard to get this up and running.

It's more of a rhetorical question of "where is everybody". I guess the reason for this post is just to encourage all of you guys who are so hard at work to please keep doing what you're doing! I am very excited for the final product and will continue to log on periodically to see how things stand.

Thanks for reading!

-Jay

gavlig
Animator

Re: So where is everybody?

Post by gavlig »

thank you too! I think as soon as we get it done, people will come.

E-Mxp
Graphic Designer

Post by E-Mxp »

I think that as soon as the assets are sort of done/game hits beta stage, we would go and advertise the game on the Tremulous forums/ModDb ext.
Then the people will come.

le mi'a bende cu nitcu lo zbasu

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Yeah, I've been holding off on large-scale advertisements until beta. However, at the moment, I've already put us up on several places. We're on PlayDeb, the Linux Game Tome, and the Linux Game Database. We're also on Softpedia, and we're doing pretty well on SourceForge rankings. Once translation support is ready, I'm going to get us on some foreign game blogs too.

Once we hit beta, that's when I'll go overboard. Slashdot, Phoronix, ModDB, etc.

StalKermit
Dragoon

Post by StalKermit »

Make milkshakes.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

Isn't beergarden still alive? I hear its still 'dying'...

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

If you want to contribute to building up the playerbase, here are three easy things to do.

1. Play the game! You can always connect to our US server to find bots to play against. People pop in from time to time. I play regularly, and there are others that come on frequently too. In order to get players around, you yourself must be a player. The easiest way to get another person playing is to be a player yourself.
  2. Show the game to your friends. Have them test it out. Show off the new models we have, and the ongoing development.
  3. Get people from Tremulous to play. They'll understand the game the most, since we haven't diverged that much yet. If we could get the population of US Main on GPP playing on Unvanquished, we wouldn't need to run bots anymore.

Every bit of help counts.

Kynes

Post by Kynes »

You could also try dropping by our IRC channel (#unvanquished on Freenode) and asking if anyone wants to get on.

velociostrich
Dragoon

Post by velociostrich »

StalKermit wrote:

Make milkshakes.

But then all the boys will come to our yard!

BigFluffyUnicorn
Dretch

Post by BigFluffyUnicorn »

Until the greatest of the boys makes them all ragequit :eek: