Flamethrower

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Flamethrower

Post by kharnov »

Here's a look at the flamethrower concept by Alex!

The weapon is a fairly self-explanatory one. Point it at an enemy up close, hold the trigger, and hope that they get doused in the searing hot flame spouting from your weapon until they are charred to a perfect crisp. Great for tight corridors and ventilation systems, the flamethrower excels in burning through hordes of smaller aliens, although it has trouble with incinerating the larger forms fast enough, to whom the flamethrower is more of a nuisance. Much like its Tremulous equivalent, the flamethrower will largely remain a close assault weapon, used alone or preferably at a distance from one's teammates. However, we do have some gameplay changes in store for it. You may have already noticed that it will set alien buildings on fire, and that it will also leave small flames on solid surfaces. Once the model is complete, it will gain another use: the gas tank will be able to release from the weapon and get thrown like an incendiary grenade.

Click here to read this article on the main site!

Elmo
Dretch

Re: Flamethrower

Post by Elmo »

When the gas tank is removed do I have to buy a new flamethrower or reload?
Also, do the aliens have anyway to put out fires on their buildings, maybe a Granger spit or too?
And has there been a change to the amount of damage the user takes while using it?

Long live the legacy of:
[COM] [OPP] [ICE] =USA=
|AoD|[_MS} .!vR ?FH: .^
And many more...

vcxzet
Dretch

Post by vcxzet »

you dont need a giant barrel for a flamethrower. it just ejects gas. it looks more like a plasma rifle

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Correction: The original idea was that the tank would double as the firebomb already present in the game. Instead of throwing the bomb, you could reload the flamer with it once. Flamer ammo might be reduced a little to give an incentive to do so. That's obviously more of a gimmick than something that would change gameplay significantly. Actually, kharnov's idea of removing the tank and using it as a firebomb is nice, too. It would need to have a strength proportional to the fuel left in it. Let's do both!

Elmo wrote:

Also, do the aliens have anyway to put out fires on their buildings, maybe a Granger spit or too?

A granger spit already takes out buildables on fire (and potentially floor fires … I actually forgot whether it does) but it lacks a cool extinguishing effect and sound. As you might be aware, we are in need of sound and particle artists.

Elmo wrote:

And has there been a change to the amount of damage the user takes while using it?

The flamer has been re-implemented from scratch (and so has human armor).

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

For once I actually like the new concept.
If the old particle system were to be used, please align the flame hitboxes with it. I find it visually irritating like the 1.1 flamer where the flames don't hit what it actually is hitting.

Also, gameplay-wise I'm not sure if the flamer self-hurt has been fixed, but just worth mentioning. (Touch a wall, aim AWAY from the wall, and fire. Hitbox touches wall behind you on SOME orientations which is kinda illogical, especially for its thin fire stream). Also, (sigh) the old flamer effects can go through walls, just to let you know as well. All the reason to redo the particle system.

Viech wrote:

A granger spit already takes out buildables on fire (and potentially floor fires … I actually forgot whether it does) but it lacks a cool extinguishing effect and sound. As you might be aware, we are in need of sound and particle artists.

Honestly, I'd like a KoRx-healing effect too. I don't like it when you kill a buildable that prints to the whole team when you're trying to douse a flame.

Also, "Spits" should have a splash. I've always wondered why trem never had a splash too, apart from a little OP base killing. It's not like humans pack structures together much anymore so that isn't an issue, but the splash would be convenient for collective fires.
:bomb: :coffee:

edit: removed my text out of the quote (accident)

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

ViruS wrote:

I don't like it when you kill a buildable that prints to the whole team when you're trying to douse a flame.

The spit doesn't do damage anymore. Healing is fine with me, I'll keep that in mind when I get back to alien buildables.

I don't think your knowledge of particle system and missile bounding boxes is up to date. The gameplay implementation of the flamer has been redone from scratch.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

Viech wrote:
ViruS wrote:

I don't like it when you kill a buildable that prints to the whole team when you're trying to douse a flame.

The spit doesn't do damage anymore. Healing is fine with me, I'll keep that in mind when I get back to alien buildables.

I don't think your knowledge of particle system and missile bounding boxes is up to date. The gameplay implementation of the flamer has been redone from scratch.

Ahh ok then :)

rolandixor
Dretch

Post by rolandixor »

There should be other flame-thrower style weapons, like one that throws firebombs, and one that fires napalm rounds :>And of course a fire breathing alien would be nice :D(Or one that releases acid).

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

We have a firebomb. It is literally called the firebomb.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

kharnov wrote:

We have a firebomb. It is literally called the firebomb.

I feel that the firebomb isn't useful except jamming up vents and lighting close-built structures (which probably won't die out in most cases).

@viech (or whoever's responsible for balancing): Can the firebomb/flamer burn duration on the ground increase? Not so much that we'll be playing 3D super mario for 20 seconds, but extend the duration at least 1.5x.

The discarding fuel canister reminds me of a saw blade-gun from Resistance (PS3). Primary fire works like a painsaw, secondary fire spits the blades out. Of course, there were refills, but way too many, like 30. It was my favorite weapon in survival situations against the hatchlings...