Spotlight: basilisk

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
ViruS
Granger

Re: Spotlight: basilisk

Post by ViruS »

I've always wanted a basilisk that could jitter side-to-side a bit like pikachu's quick attack from pokemon. Maybe that'll make it more useful in open areas.

Also, we've got to find a way to make the basilisk not so ping-dependant. High ping results in the following:
-Harder to grab (server-sided, not unlagged, and since there are limitations on range my playability style versus walking humans is either "grab OR swipe" but not both unless I toggle unlagged off)
-Harder to dodge (same thing, ping issues, only way to avoid it is by jumping into them and doing a yu-ee [half turn] and shooting them while they chase your shadow)

RK

Post by RK »

How about a tangle/web attack, or short-ranged projectile, which reduces enemy movement speed and stamina regen (and turn speed, if that's possible)?It certainly needs some kind of paralysing ability, otherwise it would no longer be a "Basilisk".

rolandixor
Dretch

Post by rolandixor »

Well the first thing it needs is a rename: Mantis.Secondly, a passive, weak, area-effect electrical attack would be nice. It could be turned on or off (like a switch), so that you could use it only when you are "hunting".

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Mantis is quite a fitting name, I guess I'll use that as a codename for the Lisk's successor. :smile:

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

ViruS
Granger

Re: Spotlight: BASLICK BASLICK BASLICK BASLICK BASLICK

Post by ViruS »

Dracone wrote:

aliens' "disabler"

This just gave me an idea despite the re-read:

Our current gas works in an AoE that slows humans down. What if we had the basilisks drain stamina the closer they are to a human? Or maybe sucked weapon energy or health slowly like zapping did in KoRx in return for health? Or, a weaker version of the pcloud gassing effect?

Viech wrote:

Mantis is quite a fitting name, I guess I'll use that as a codename for the Lisk's successor. :smile:

I have to agree, it's not much like the basilisk it used to be, half-jawed :'(
:advbasilisk: :human: :basilisk:

Seth

Post by Seth »

[quote="viech"]I believe the current lisk's gameplay is fundamentally flawed and I don't want to copy over its grab ability (or in other words, I want the lisk to be replaced with a new class). The key problem of the current lisk is the lack of flexibility. The grab is very strong in a few situations and very weak in many others. No matter what extra abilities we would give it, we can do little about the fact that the grab abilitiy doesn't scale properly with the enemy equipment (very strong against non-bsuit, non-luci, very weak against bsuit or luci) and with the number of enemies (very strong against a single player, close to useless against a coordinated team). It also doesn't scale nicely with the number of teammates: While any other alien special attack (zap, pounce, trample) stacks, a human can only be grabbed (or disoriented) once.[/quote]The KoRx Basilisk was one of the most useful classes since its audible stealth was complemented by visual stealth (stationary cloaking and booster-fueled mobile cloaking). While it was very hard to kill a battlesuit, it was still possible and a fun challenge. The gas was useful in disorienting weaker humans to either scare or attack them. The degree of cloaking was enough that experienced players could predict or spot them, so it was balanced.