The lasgun

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
ViruS
Granger

Re: The lasgun

Post by ViruS »

Elmo wrote:

Tesla Rifle

Scientifically, all that would do is kill the player via extreme radiation poisoning if it was strong enough to kill an alien.

"Tesla" relates to the scientist, who invented tesla coils and came up with the idea of radios. Radios are EM waves, in other words, another form of light. Light can give you cancer, it can heat you up, it can ionise you.
Also, coils zap whatever's closest so even our tesla gens are illogical as a human walking past it is "safe". Well, tesla coils don't kill people despite the huge ampere because they only last a few milliseconds, but they can give nasty burns.

Now, if we put it inside a gun that's safe enough to contain it and reflect unwanted emissions back inside it... we just have another similar laser I guess. However the emitting wire would most likely melt itself like filament globes do.

Other electronic related names:

Coil Gun -> Shoots using magnetism, some old people reckon the MD runs on a similar basis and thats where the idea of fast metalic slugs came from for KoRx, but Actually I think they said railgun. This gun can be short and stubby.

Railgun -> Uses two rails and the projectile's self-induced mag field to propell itself away from the gun's own mag field and the huge current provided (technically they're humungous today, but in the future, who knows? Generally this requires a huge long barrel for efficency)

Gauss Rifle -> Uses a series of magnetic pellets in a linear chain reaction of some sort to launch a magnetic pellet extremely fast in a short amount of time. There's a speed limit though because the magnets can brake and the reload is actually quite hard. I tried one at school, took all my strength to reload 20% of the rifle.

Taser Gun -> Currently the best way to deliver electricity since it doesn't conduct well in air and tends to go towards the closest object, so firing a pin with a wire along it works best.

Telescope + Light bulb -> Short specific range, but can burn through things.

Light Amplification by Stimulation Electromagnetic Radiation (or something like that) -> Same, but short to long range and no specific points of optimal damage dealing except the muzzle. It works by fluorescing a crystal inside of itself that where light bounces off its inner walls as they have mirrors, and when the light intensity reaches a certain point it releases this in a pulse. Generally these pulses last negligable time but the 'reload' is quite fast too.

Elmo
Dretch

Post by Elmo »

ViruS wrote:
Elmo wrote:

Tesla Rifle

Scientifically, all that would do is kill the player via extreme radiation poisoning if it was strong enough to kill an alien.

I'm ambitiously assuming these future humans have discovered a way to not kill themselves.

Long live the legacy of:
[COM] [OPP] [ICE] =USA=
|AoD|[_MS} .!vR ?FH: .^
And many more...

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Cool Strong Weapon

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

I'm insulted that could even think that khaoz's name choice can be even be considered as good as my own superior choice.

james2841

Post by james2841 »

make it so it has "batteries" and the beam dies out when it runs out of power and make the "batteries" explode when burned and make it lose efficiency after 15 mins