HMG: the new chaingun

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

HMG: the new chaingun

Post by kharnov »

In the near future, we will be replacing the chaingun with its successor.

ImageOne of the first heavy weapons available to the human team during the early stages of Tremulous matches, the chaingun provided a source of rapid-fire ranged damage with an extensive ammo clip that didn't need to be reloaded, at the expense of an absurd degree of recoil. Up close, the chaingun proved to be utterly brutal, tearing apart even the largest of aliens with an endless barrage of heavy firepower. Some enterprising players discovered the benefits of utilizing a jetpack to organize stealthy rushes with the weapon, while others, typically new players, confusingly used the battery pack. We will perhaps never know the rationale for the latter decision.

In Unvanquished, we will alter the chaingun to be the HMG, or the Heavy Machine Gun to correspond to the SMG that players will start out with. We have removed the multi-barrel design, finding it to be needlessly cliche. Instead, the weapon represents modern machine guns from a more futuristic perspective. It will be held with both hands and will provide the same heavy spread and rapid-fire damage. Graphical effects will provide ample screen shaking to emphasize the intense nature of this weapon. Concept art has been done by the great Alex B. O'Dowd. We hope to get to modeling it soon.

Click here to read this article on the main site!

Last edited by kharnov on Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Elmo
Dretch

Re: HMG: the new chaingun

Post by Elmo »

Will medium armour have an effect on the recoil?

DwarfVader
Mantis

Post by DwarfVader »

nice work!

though it looks a little bit like the american garbage M-60 machine gun.
I would prefer a design more influenced by the good old german classic: the MG-42 or its successor the MG-3.

But its looking way better than the old trem "thing" where you couldn't even tell what the revolving part at the front should reassemble.

How will it sound like. I'll hope like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBL8-SbXQG0 :-)

DwarfVader

---
arch linux 64 Bit
nvidia Geforce GT440
8 GB Ram
AMD 4100 Quad-Core Processor

StalKermit
Dragoon

Post by StalKermit »

Clichés make the world go round. You can't just toss them aside like an old rag.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Elmo wrote:

Will medium armour have an effect on the recoil?

We are not yet sure in which direction we are going to take weapon handling. I'm in favor of a more "realistic" behaviour with dynamic spread, Ishq wants to stick to the current quake-ish handling. I like the idea of making armor do more than just protection so I'm not opposed to having it influence spread.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

It looks like it's more focused on accuracy and impact energy rather than firing speed, not to mention the drum looks "a bit" small for 300 rounds with that barrel size. In fact, I'd say it looks like it'll have higher accuracy than the SMG.

Elmo
Dretch

Post by Elmo »

ViruS wrote:

It looks like it's more focused on accuracy and impact energy rather than firing speed, not to mention the drum looks "a bit" small for 300 rounds with that barrel size. In fact, I'd say it looks like it'll have higher accuracy than the SMG.

Thats exactly what I thought based on the picture, the guns designed to be shot from the shoulder not the hip.
I never thought the multiple barrel design was cliche, mostly because its accurate to real life.

Is the change from Chaingun to HMG going to be merely aesthetic?

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Elmo wrote:

Is the change from Chaingun to HMG going to be merely aesthetic?

Not necessarily. It depends on how we are (not) changing weapon handling. Either way, I don't see a reason against implementing a weapon such as the HMG from scratch, it's not like the old Chaingun had a particularly nifty design.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

rolandixor
Dretch

Post by rolandixor »

IMHO I think this would be better as a more accurate weapon with a slow-and-steady ROF and a heavy impact. It sure looks like it should have those characteristics.