New players are leaving quickly

Discuss clans, events, servers, and more!
afontain
Programmer

Re: New players are leaving quickly

Post by afontain »

For the record, I think I'm helping fixing bugs that look/feel bad, are perplexing for a newcomer, etc. I'm also working my way through what I believe is needed to create some form of tutorial, but that is more work.

Here are some example of perplexing behavior fixes: And some of them are still work in progress, so that proves there is continuous work being put into it:
Other people are also doing useful work in their own area. For example freem is working on making bots more interesting, which helps when there aren't many players around; illwieckz (among others) has been testing the game on a lot of hardware to ensure it works correctly; Gireen (among others) has been doing some UI work to ease the first run a bit, and others have generally been pushing it forward too (it's not because I haven't mentioned you that I have forgotten you :tongue:).

By the way, for the "aim at head" thing, we can also consider a tutorial where enemies are humans in battlesuit, except they forgot their helmet :P We could also add some feedback in-game, for example some sound when headshoting.
illwieckz
Project Head

Re: New players are leaving quickly

Post by illwieckz »

afontain wrote:illwieckz (among others) has been testing the game on a lot of hardware to ensure it works correctly.
Also I not only made sure the tutorial was not obsolete and obviously incomplete, I also made sure the default binds were usable, something that was broken since tremulous 1.1 release, and making default binds usable required to not only redo the bind list, but also change the way the player interact with the game so we can bind more easier behavior. For example, marking for replacement and deconstructing now uses a single key, another example is that cycling through equipment is doing immediate switch and does not require extra validation after selection, and does not require visual feedback other than the first person weapon being replaced. Before, players had to enable the tutorial to know which weapon they _will_ activate.
afontain wrote:We could also add some feedback in-game, for example some sound when headshoting.
We already added a visual hit indicator making obvious there is more points won (the amount of given damage is printed on screen), but a sound feedback would be better (no need to read).

This comment is licensed under cc ​​by 4 and antecedent.