Jota

Release your maps and discuss them, from alphas to finished releases.
Matth
Dretch

Re: Jota

Post by Matth »

Hello illwieckz. :coffee:
I understand your feelings. I met alot users that share the same opensource ideology like you do. But my experience forces me to do so and well, i have my reasons.

It's not illegal to share the original package i provide. It's ment not to copycat and rename it under a different name and then to share it. So when u can play it then ofc u can download it. First line says it all.
No nitpicking please. I mean what sense would that make? :bugeyes:
No one needs to fix my map because i will. If not then the map will disappear and i'm fine with that.

I think this is an idiology issue also intolerance (no offence).
I don't share the 'open source idiology 100%' so don't judge me if i try to protect my stuff. I have all rights to do so. I think almost every human with common sense will understand that. If you can't comment regarding my map (screenshots are an option and available in this thread!) then just don't. It's okay.

What i need is what i think what i need and that is a license that fits my needs.
"It's not good for you and for what you did." Well fortunately ppl are free, we can decide. I can decide whats best for me and i disagree. It doesn't hurt me in any way when my stuff is not available anymore in the future / whatever. I really do, because i can change it any time or not. And when i'm dead then i don't care. Thats the good part. Being free and have control over my live and what i create. Thats very important. Tolerance please?

Sincerely
-Matth

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

Hi Matth, sorry If I look like a little rough.

There is nothing wrong with what you want to do (yes you “have all rights to do so”), the problem is the way it was written.

Thank you for clarifying we can download the map and host it because it's not at all what your legal clause said.

One good thing to know about legal license: a legal license is not about telling dishonest people what they should not do but telling the honest people how to do: legal stuff is useless for people who don't want to read it and don't care about what you want.

With that in mind, legal stuff become easier and shorter to write. Caring only about honest people is easier, and it's good enough since those who aren't honest just don't pay attention to what you think. :wink:

I can host your map if you want people playing it.

So, I have found some issues.

Void

Lightmap spill-out

I don't know why it's happening, this problem was already happening on your stahl map, perhaps there is an issue with a q3map2 option you use?

One last thing:

It doesn't hurt me in any way when my stuff is not available anymore in the future / whatever.

I understood that, but perhaps some people who aren't you don't want to see this awesome work being lost. :wink:

Keep up the good work! :smile:

This comment is licensed under cc ​​by 4 and antecedent.

kangz
Programmer

Post by kangz »

I mostly concur with illwieckz points about your handmade legalese. It is really hard for oneself to write his own license (unless, you are a team of lawyers all by yourself).

Even though your map is nice and could probably reach the quality required to become an official map, the license you put simply prevents us from making it official. Tagging a map as official should be the way to promote excellent maps to players so that, by default, they get the best experience possible. It is currently not possible for us to promote your map in this way, which would be a shame as it looks really nice (didn't play on it yet).

I'm trying to understand your motivation for making this license; what do you want to achieve? From what I read you want your name to be strongly linked to the map and for nobody to be able to usurp your work which is exactly CC-NC-ND. I'd suggest you switch to this license as yours is probably void for being non-sensical.

I'd still argue for you to use a SA instead of an ND for the same reason illwieckz stated : we will not be able to upgrade your map when we do engine changes, which might limited its lifetime heavily.

Matth
Dretch

Post by Matth »

illwieckz:
Ahh thanks,
That issue happens when light gets on the surface somehow from behind. This can be fixed using more caulk brushes and i will try it. Thank you for your report :grin:
Sure, no problem if you want to host it :beer:

kangz: Actually i'm fine with that. I have fun being creative and to build and not about having an 'official-sticker'.
There is no need to make my name 'strongly-linked' to my map because.. it's my map!?
Sorry but i don't want to.

I'm more interested in a discussion about the map and not about my license. So i'm happy to go back on topic.

kangz
Programmer

Post by kangz »

Your position on this makes me sad, but it doesn't seem like you'll change your opinion so I'll go back to doing stuff that survives me.

Matth
Dretch

Post by Matth »

WIP!
:beer:

Matth
Dretch

Post by Matth »

Finished center section of version 2.0 :smile:
(test compiled)

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

Hey map, nice changes!

is this a preview of that other map you already teased? :grin:

On the other hand, I've spotted that this little red light is blinking:

But not this one:

Is this a bug? :smile:

This comment is licensed under cc ​​by 4 and antecedent.

Matth
Dretch

Post by Matth »

Those are shots of two other maps in the pipeline. The first one is a remake of niveus and the second one doesn't have a name yet.
You are right about the bugs. Its not only the blinking but also wrong color. Should be blue on the blue base side and red on the red base haha. :advmarauder:

*oh well, i found this old vid i did of that nameless map. Textures changed.

https://vid.me/IkXJ

krtv`

Post by krtv` »

Matth wrote:

Those are shots of two other maps in the pipeline. The first one is a remake of niveus

yessss!!!

Matth wrote:

*oh well, i found this old vid i did of that nameless map. Textures changed.

https://vid.me/IkXJ

wow!! that is beautiful! i love the geometry, and the sky, and the dark atmosphere!! looking forward to the finished version :smile: