How look other games on the Daemon engine?

Discuss whatever you'd like!
illwieckz
Project Head

Re: How look other games on the Daemon engine?

Post by illwieckz »

In fact, Tom, this maps was already ported to tremulous using a decompilation/recompilation process, and it was very wrong.

There wer plenty issues like missing textures (you see the void at some place), or some geometric faces misplaced (with clip issues), the lighting is completely wrong since it has to be redone and the guy who redone it was not as good as the author (and I will not be as good as the author).

Yes, the first time I've seen this map was this crappy tremulous port, I said, « wow, it looks so nice for a tremulous map », then I tried the UrbanTerror one and I said « wow, the tremulous port was so ugly ». Currently, I think a decompilation/recompilation is a port done wrong.

And a funny thing, tremulous-gpp and tremfusion were not able to load this tremulous port out of the box, only Unvanquished, it means some things were wrong in the map.

Unless the engine use another map format, the best way is to modify things inside the bsp directly and in texture/shaders.

Doing that, you will not be able to change geometry of the map, but you can change many things: you can place buildings (spawn points, turrets, overmind etc.) where you want if you know how to modify it in the bsp, you can substitute or rework some shaders, and I'm working to be able to change some surfaceparms with my tools (I have to check if it works). Also, you can tweak the lighting (adjusting luminosity, contrast, gamma or color atmosphere) using a simple picture tool once you know how to export and reimport lightmaps.

You can't get a complete .map from a .bsp, for example, the lights are compiled to lightmaps that are texture files, unless I'm missing something, you can't roll back this part.

So, this map loads very well in Unvanquished, and is already playable unless a minor bug I have to fix: a place in the map is not buildable and it's a part I've not yet tried to modify with my tools.

I can't change the geometry of the map, but it's not a big issue, there is some places where a tyrant can't go, like a cubbyhole, but if a human puts a telenode in it, he will not be able to protect it and even a advanced marauder can zap it from outside. It's not a map done with Unvanquished in mind, so do not expect to not have some gameplay issue at all, but it can be fun to play and it is refreshing. :drool:

Tom
Dragoon

Post by Tom »

Ok. :smile:

illwieckz wrote:

[...] but it can be fun to play and it is refreshing. :drool:

For sure!

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

→ See this dedicated thread for more information about the Metro/terminus map. :wink:

poVoq
Mantis

Post by poVoq »

Hmm a bit OT: But is it actually still possible to run the game-logic of these games (I am especially thinking of Wolf: ET) inside the Demon engine, or has it changed too much internally already? Might be cool to use the Unvanquished assets and the Wolt:ET game code to make a cool team objective game as a mod for UNV.

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

You'd have to port it from QVM to NaCl at the very least. Asset pk3s would also have to follow our filesystem rules.

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

So, in my attempt to load xonotic maps on daemon engine, I commented out all dp and xon keywords in shader files, then made a symlink from dds/textures to textures/.

Before:

After:

So, there is still an issue with lightmaps, but it's better than before!

This comment is licensed under cc ​​by 4 and antecedent.

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

Other shots:

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

Instead of a symlink from dds/textures to textures, using the whole dds directory as a pk3dir helps daemon to load some textures that are not in the textures/ directory.

Before:

After:

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

It looks a bit better now! :smile:

The lightmaps were not loaded because they all are in jpg format. Who had this weird idea? it's the best way to get light spillover. :bugeyes:

The daemon engine don't look for lightmap in jpg format since it's not expected. So I just converted them to png, et voilà. :grin:

But the big issue is the normal maps etc. are not applied even if they are there. :eek:

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

:smile: