How look other games on the Daemon engine?

Discuss whatever you'd like!
illwieckz
Project Head

How look other games on the Daemon engine?

Post by illwieckz »

Hi, just for fun I tried to launch maps from other games, here some preview… Nothing serious here, and I can't share more than screenshots since it's probably the only legal thing I can do.

All these maps runs unmodified (except the exception I will explain). The only thing I've done is to repack all the data for each game in a tex-package and creating map entries for each bsp with DEPS on this tex-package. So for example for q3dm7.bsp I created an empty map-q3dm7 that depends on tex-quake3 that contains q3dm7 (repacked pak0 and others officials) and sometime I have to rename badly named maps (for example obj_railhouse to obj-railhouse since “_” is the version separator). That's all!

Now the pictures:

1. UrbanTerror

2. Quake Live / Quake 3 Arena

3. Smokin’ Guns

4. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory

5. Close Quarters Battle / True combat: Elite

Also, there is some time some missing textures, and many weird bugs like the #552 water bug (on tree leafs for example).

As you see some maps are overbrighten, with a 0.7 gamma it looks better:

6. Xonotic

Xonotic maps load but I did'nt manage to have textures working (only the skyboxes work out of the box):

7. Warsow

Warsow maps don't load at all (bad BSP version).

8. Exceptions

I made an exception for this map and only for this map, I modified the entities lump inside the bsp to add some spawn point. It's a community Urban Terror space-themed map named orbital, a good one to play Unvanquished. :tongue:

The mapper wrote in the README he does not allow people to use his map in other projects than Urban Terror without permission, but perhaps I can ask for permission… There is a a bit work to do, add spawn points in entities, and replace some texture from Urban Terror (many textures in this map come from Urban Terror).

Now this other map is a subway-themed community map for UrbanTerror named metro (not the Tremulous metro map by KOsAD). In fact a guy ported it for Tremulous in the past, but that was a very bad port with many textures and brush issues: the guys said he has decompiled it with permission, but there is nothing to decompile here, only fix entities and use transparent textures to hide some Urban Terror themed objects… :bugeyes: And this map run wells without q3ut4 paks (only 3 or 4 missings textures that are easy to replace). This map is very polished (more than common Urban Terror maps), if it was true the mapper authorized someone to port it and if he authorizes me, this can be fun.

Last edited by illwieckz on Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:02 pm UTC, edited 8 times in total.
spudwebb
Debugger

Re: How look other games on the Daemon engine?

Post by spudwebb »

Some of these maps are amazing.

Urban Terror was a great game. True combat was a great game.

Try the Navy Seals game, NSq3.

Tom
Dragoon

Post by Tom »

I agree with you, these games were and still are great.

Illwieckz, porting maps is a great idea! I for one would like to play this metro map in Unv! Do not hesitate to contact authors, I contacted KOsAD to ask him permission to port his map metro and he had accepted and was very nice (unfortunately, this is a big task and I lack of technical skills and time).

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

So good news for you, metro by KOsAD is already ported (just needs to be released). ;-)

It's just a blob port I did not touched the .map at all for the moment (just fixed what was broken in shader calls or entities keywords for example). There is only one bug left that affects the light candles and the fire in the crypt (but sometime can glitch elsewhere in the map) that is probably a renderer issue. I think it will not prevent to play. :grin:

For this another metro map, we will see in the future. :tongue:

Personally, I want to play on the orbital station. :drool:

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

Metro map looks lovely. Other than that, i wouldn't expect much difference, because those maps don't utilize the features of daemon.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Wow, nice work! Seems like some of the maps aren't loading lightmaps though, for example the TCE maps. UrT maps do have some shading, so maybe the lightmaps just have a horrible quality.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

Perhaps you didn't see these shots. :tongue:

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

Good news, neowin gives me the permission to port his métro map to Unvanquished.
Unfortunately he said to me he does not have the sources anymore, but it's exactly why I'm developping my Granger's toolbox, I'm writing tool to be able to fix things inside the BSP directly. For example I can substitute textures or substitute entities.

Do you see this map:

This is how the map looks currently on daemon:

As you see, there is some minor bugs, (look the fire and the ads), but it's very promising, I hope I will be able to fix that (don't know yet what is happening).

Just for fun, do you see the bombs on the box? on your left:
This bomb:
It does not fit with the Unvanquished universe, you think? exactly, so I make it disappearing (the bomb, I don't touch the 3D objects of the map, it' is here but not visible):
Really:

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

That's awesome, this map was a masterpiece!

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Tom
Dragoon

Post by Tom »

Wow, ... Wow! I really look forward to play it at the next devgame! But it's too sad sources can't be found. Maybe you can decompile the map from a .bsp to a .map using Q3Map2 (https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Q3Map2#De ... nto_a_.map), but i'm sure you already know this possibility.