On realism

Discuss whatever you'd like!
lamefun
Tyrant

On realism

Post by lamefun »

Viech wrote:

I voted for the lighter option because very heavy weapons in a fast paced shooter don't comply with my (personal, selective) sense of realism; You can't really sprint and jump if you're carrying a rocket launcher on your shoulder.

• You can't really bite head from the floor if you're the size of a cat.

• You can't really have a structure that doesn't fall from an edge with 99%-100% of its base in air.

Viech
Project Head

Re: On realism

Post by Viech »

lamefun wrote:

- You can't really bite head from the floor if you're the size of a cat.

And it's also unintuitive and hard to learn. To be honest I'm afraid to touch the dretch mechanics though.

lamefun wrote:

- You can't really have a structure that doesn't fall from an edge with 99%-100% of its base in air.

I've been considering to change that so that the middle point needs to be on solid ground.

In general, there's a difference between designing new things so that they are credible and changing stuff that Trem players have known for ten years.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

lamefun
Tyrant

Post by lamefun »

Viech wrote:

To be honest I'm afraid to touch the dretch mechanics though.

I don't think there are more than 100 Tremulous players still actively playing, so it's best to make the game friendly to newcomers instead of trying to appeal to old Tremulous players.

Viech wrote:

... Trem players have known for ten years.

Isn't this thing called Stockholm syndrome?

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

I don't think there are more than 100 Tremulous players still actively playing, so it's best to make the game friendly to newcomers instead of trying to appeal to old Tremulous players.

Today 2015-01-27, since 2014-12-12, my server has logged 591 connection from 114 unique nicknames from 33 country (I lost some logs from some hours but you get the idea). There was games each day on this server the two first weeks of january (and sometime all the day) so it seems this server had a good idea of the current playerbase.

Since some people had renamed themselves, you can think the current Unvanquished player base is about 100 people, so if there is no more 100 Tremulous players today, they are very precious, since newcomers can't come if there is no players to welcome them, and Tremulous players are the most likely to play Unvanquished. :bsuit:

This comment is licensed under cc ​​by 4 and antecedent.

lamefun
Tyrant

Post by lamefun »

So Unvanquished will never have more than 200 players if it continues to appeal to old players at an expense of 99.9% new players. Dretch headbite is stupid, and is a CHEAT. If you don't headbite, you won't kill anything, and since it's the only free alien, you'll never get better aliens. So CHEATING is required to play aliens.