Coders Wanted for Cuboid Resurrection

Discuss whatever you'd like!
Ishq
Project Head

Re: Coders Wanted for Cuboid Resurrection

Post by Ishq »

I was a cuboid contributor. Kinda. Contributed a few fixes here and there. Was hoping they would drop the uBP model.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

Viech wrote:
ViruS wrote:

We tried to find where the damage calculations for armour was located but never found it

In Unvanquished, I found it and ripped it out. The code for nonlocational damage protection was horrible, I had to find the old values by playtesting. Per-class damage reduction can now be found in main/configs/classes/human_(naked|light|medium|bsuit).locdamage.cfg and allows you to set nonlocational protection independently.

Oh sweet. Iirc (it may have been a dream), it had some weird decimal number involved... I'll check it out later :thumbup:

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

It looked like this.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

ViruS
Granger

Re: Armour Calcs

Post by ViruS »

Viech wrote:

It looked like this.

Wait, I already knew that. I remembered some other complex calculation, and it was different to the 1.1 format too...

Edit: I just did a sample calculation, and sort of got an answer similar to what I saw in-game.

The reason why it seems dodgy from what I see is because of this:

Code: Select all

scale += region->modifier * region->area;

and this:

area += region->area;

and the modifier becomes

1.0f + ( modifier / scale - 1.0f ) * area;

which makes this complicated.

Scrap calculations don't read this, I'll edit when I find a better way:

damagemod += area(region) *modifier(region);
square(damagemod)
damagemod = 1/damagemod
 e lh3eb
WHY YOU READ THIS?!? :^(

.[/size]

Anyway, the sort of armour system I want for non-locational damage, is where if a bsuit (full body, uniform protection) that has a modifier 0.2 only, to only receive 20% damage, and where if a human is wearing light armour, the helmet will have a 0.3 modifier while the body armour would have 0.4, making average damage 31%. And if we still had the light armour separate from the light helmet, the human should receive 46% damage, and if it was raw helmet only, 93%.

In other words, they actually correspond nicely to the config modifiers.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

This sounds nice in theory but there are a few issues. First of all human damage regions don't have the same size, so for the average body protection you would want to take this into account. On the other hand, such a naive average (which is still different from the old nonlocational calculation) has nothing to do with the actual average, where players usually aim for the head but hit the body or legs ocasionally. So what I did is using the technical average as well as the old protection values as a reference but allowing arbitrary reduction values anyway. This makes it easier to predict how much damage will be done with a certain attack and gives us another variable for balancing.

For those interested, here are the current values. Please resist the urge to discuss them here, let's not take over this thread completely which was supposed to be about Cuboid. If you have any more feedback or questions please use the Feedback or Genral Discussion forum, respectively.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction