Coders Wanted for Cuboid Resurrection

Discuss whatever you'd like!
dGr8LookinSparky

Coders Wanted for Cuboid Resurrection

Post by dGr8LookinSparky »

For those that don't know, Cuboid was an awesome mod and server on Tremulous 1.2. It has seen major development in the past few months. The disintegration of Tremulous became a problem for the Cuboid project. I, and others in the Cuboid community, was hoping to see the Cuboid efforts live on in Unvanquished. We are looking for coders with some spare time to help reboot the Cuboid Project. If your interested in helping please post on the official cuboid forums here: http://spiney.me/tremulous/index.php. Thank you.

- *<{dGr8LookinSparky

vcxzet
Dretch

Re: Coders Wanted for Cuboid Resurrection

Post by vcxzet »

hehe wonders of modding a dead game.
but dont think unvanquished might save it in short run, it also have a tiny community as an unborn game.

Gireen
Graphic Designer
Clan: [DoH]

Post by Gireen »

Cubes?
:smile:

yalt

Post by yalt »

For those that don't know, Cuboid was an awesome mod and server on Tremulous 1.2. It has seen major development in the past few months. The disintegration of Tremulous became a problem for the Cuboid project. I, and others in the Cuboid community, was hoping to see the Cuboid efforts live on in Unvanquished. We are looking for coders with some spare time to help reboot the Cuboid Project. If your interested in helping please post on the official cuboid forums here: http://spiney.me/tremulous/index.php. Thank you.

Correction:
Cuboid died cause of dev rq and due no players. Lifetime was about 1 or 2 months? And the "major development" was done by just one person so i doubt this is any serious.

dGr8LookinSparky

yalt wrote:

Correction:
Cuboid died cause of dev rq and due no players. Lifetime was about 1 or 2 months? And the "major development" was done by just one person so i doubt this is any serious.

Hi Yalt, it's good to see that your still around. Unfortunately theinvisibleman (the main coder for cuboid), lived up to his name and disappeared. Yalt, are you offering your services to help with Cuboid :wink: . I always enjoy some irony. Any thoughts on a reboot of Edge here? I never did understand what it was with all of this drama between RCZ vs. Edge vs. Cuboid. The developers of all 3 were greatly talented, that of course includes you Yalt :wink: . I've thoroughly enjoyed all 3 servers and got along with everyone in general, I thought the variety of awesomeness was great, unfortunately it was too little too late for Trem 1.2. But really we all need to work together to make a game successful, maybe the human versus alien asymmetrical game play with the building of structures will get a second chance to become big with Unvanquished (a guy can hope) ?

- *<{dGr8LookinSparky

yalt

Post by yalt »

I never did understand what it was with all of this drama between RCZ vs. Edge vs. Cuboid

->yalt starts playing gpp and joined RCZ-Server
->RCZ admins abused their powers
->RCZ owner doesn't do jack shit about it cause those admin bought their levels
->yalt was false-flag-banned and butthurt
->yalt starts edge mod project / setup his own server and flipped the middle finger to rcz
->rcz lost all players (they hop over to edge)
->left rcz admins raged like hell and start their own mod server by using a foreign mod called cuboid and asked the coder of cuboid to join their team +spreading lies propaganda about me.
->after some months of cuboid boringness the server was closed. The cuboid coder rq and left old rcz to die in hell.
"we closed because gpp is dead" ->rofl
->edge still rules the place
->and now u cuboid guys are looking for a new fool to do the work.

I mean, if invisbleman (redman) would be the creater of this thread, i never said anything bad about it but this is just ugly.
At first i thought competition is a great thing and pushes me abit to invest more work/time into edge but im honestly disappointed. (this doesnt include redman & pikatchu). And therefore im not very positive toward u rcz guys.

-yalt

Last edited by yalt on Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
vcxzet
Dretch

Post by vcxzet »

redman is still around? I knew him from the tremx times ... bricosoft

dGr8LookinSparky

yalt wrote:

I never did understand what it was with all of this drama between RCZ vs. Edge vs. Cuboid

->yalt starts playing gpp and joined RCZ-Server
->RCZ admins abused their powers
->RCZ owner doesn't do jack shit about it cause those admin bought their levels
->yalt was false-flag-banned and butthurt
->yalt starts edge mod project / setup his own server and flipped the middle finger to rcz
->rcz lost all players (they hop over to edge)
->left rcz admins raged like hell and start their own mod server by using a foreign mod called cuboid and asked the coder of cuboid to join their team +spreading lies propaganda about me.
->after some months of cuboid boringness the server was closed. The cuboid coder rq and left old rcz to die in hell.
"we closed because gpp is dead" ->rofl
->edge still rules the place
->and now u cuboid guys are looking for a new fool to do the work.

I mean, if invisbleman (redman) would be the creater of this thread, i never said anything bad about it but this is just ugly.
At first i thought competition is a great thing and pushes me abit to invest more work/time into edge but im honestly disappointed. (this doesnt not include redman & pikatchu). And therefore im not very positive toward u rcz guys.

-yalt

lol, I guess that pretty much sums up the soap Oprah that Trem 1.2 became. But minus the drama, the basic concept of cuboids was still a fun variation, and I still loved Edge by the way. What has been really frustrating for me personally though was that I was having trouble with the conflict between my graphics driver, my legacy graphics card, and my upgrade to Fedora 19, and that (along with me being busy with work recently) has kept me away from playing Trem over the past month or so, and while I was gone it seems Trem has finally decomposed. I gave up on getting hardware acceleration to work again on my linux system btw, and I have to install Unvanquished on WIndows. Long story short, the real bad guy is AMD :wink: .

- *<{dGr8LookinSparky

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

I did contribute some stuff to the cuboid system before the server went offline (and some stuff after, although no one was there to host it), the most noticable one being the CPM physics. Includes re-implementing the bug that causes marauders to stick to walls for all classes to ghost past corners, double jumps, hitsounds, and some other stuff I can't remember at the moment.

Also, cuboids aren't like in that picture. It's not called cube mod, but cuboid because you can vary the dimensions of the cube (i.e. make it a plank) and build them on ceilings and such.

I even abused the system and made floating eggs that spawn into a pit and are un-deconstructable (once finished), but constructable at stage 1. Also, I actually ripped this trolling idea from the floating fortress thing that came up in 1.1 Funserver CZ.

Although I couldn't have much fun on it (my ping was outside the unlagged handle range, 450, see http://www.ra.is/unlagged/faq.html for evidence) so I had to mainly whiz past people and try to get some lucky leads, and the basic hit and run tactic.

Redman tried to keep everything outside movement and cuboids vanilla, meaning there's no stacking normal buildings (without the help of cuboids, that is).

While the server was up, there were 3 types of cuboids for humans: Concrete (builds fast, a bit soft but strong when thick), Glass (stronger than concrete when thin, but takes a long time to build), and ladder (handy, since you can vary the dimensions afterall)

For aliens, I recalled (he may have added more when i had exams) there were two, slime and creep (not sure what teh actual name was, but it was basically a tessellating creep-like texture). Slime had a description of hurting humans but in reality it was just a solid slick type.

The actual gameplay changes were (but not restricted to):

1. Jet fuel. Only refill-able at the armoury.
  2. Jetpack Jumping. It's handy for bunnyhoppers and head-up combats as it uses jet fuel in replacement of stamina.
  3. CPM physics:
    Air control
    -Side strafes act like quake 1 air physics, famously used for side-to-side strafe jumping in CS:S, Team fortress Classic etc.
    -Diagonal is vanilla except when decelerating. I'll explain this later.
    -Forward/Back key has air control, it directs the vector direction towards where you are aiming, although it doesn't work when decelerating.
    -Decelerating has a 2.5x multiplier. Marauder had an exception and used a 1.5x multiplier as it was too agile with its gpp-buffed air acceleration.
    -Double Jumps. The name is actually a little bit deceiving but this is what the official CPM devs called it. It allowed people to get a 100-up boost on second jump provided they jump within 400msec of the previous. I changed this into a multiplier for classes so tyrants don't jump over armories and such. This is tricky to use, but is handy for bunnyhopping up staircases provided you're not travelling too fast.
    -Removed "step-up" and "step down" from air when vertical speed (upwards) > 0

I was planning on removing "step-down" when going down to allow over-bounces but these are too hard to learn, I've honestly never done one in q3 outside DeFRaG mode so we agreed not to implement this. There is actually a tremulous map with an overbounce section, Circlejump2 or something like that. It of course doesn't work for tremulous, ironically, and needed my idea to be implemented first.

Also, increasing land friction from 6->8 and increasing acceleration from 10->16 wasn't needed too, so I didn't add that.

A few other stuff I probably didn't know that were in CPM weren't implemented of course.

1. Stage 1 Helmets, that have no radar to compensate insta-kills by s1 goons.
  2. Pounce 100 -> 75 damage
  3. Charge 111 -> 56 but I felt this wasn't enough with gpp's silly armour system. We tried to find where the damage calculations for armour was located but never found it, although I think I did a few months earlier.
  4. fast-rate zap for marauder to minimise hit-and-run advantages with marauder, but removed again.
  5. Same with luci, reverted to 1.1 style but then back to GPP due to complaints.
  6. Build timers. I was going to re-fix gameplay because we found aliens too mobile and survive rushes too easily (redman didn't fix the alienbuilder/ckit timers to make them independant of building times).
  7. Some other insignificant stuff.
Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

ViruS wrote:

We tried to find where the damage calculations for armour was located but never found it

In Unvanquished, I found it and ripped it out. The code for nonlocational damage protection was horrible, I had to find the old values by playtesting. Per-class damage reduction can now be found in main/configs/classes/human_(naked|light|medium|bsuit).locdamage.cfg and allows you to set nonlocational protection independently.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction