a developer bounty system

Request new features or present your ideas.

game fund

yes

33%

no

67%

Total votes: 21
monstercameron

a developer bounty system

Post by monstercameron »

crowdsource funds and offer bounties to artist/developers for completing objectives.

example, if a weapon needs to be redone and have multiple sizes available, put the bounty up let multiple artists submit and choose the best work, creates competition and creates incentives for people to do a good job.

example, if user finds a makes a bug report having multiple devs attacking and patching the problem and with the incentive of money, would speed up the process.

seana11
Tyrant

Re: a developer bounty system

Post by seana11 »

I'm not sure you understand how open source works. For a very nice explanation, check out The Catheral and the Bazaar.

Qrntz
Dragoon

Post by Qrntz »

monstercameron wrote:

example, if user finds a makes a bug report having multiple devs attacking and patching the problem and with the incentive of money, would speed up the process.

I'm not… eh?

Wikipedia wrote:

In Facts and Fallacies about Software Engineering, Robert Glass refers to Linus' Law as a "mantra" of the Open source movement, but calls it a fallacy, stating that research has found that the number of bugs found decreases with too many inspectors, and that no research supports the Law as stated.[SUP][4][/SUP] While closed-source practitioners also promote stringent, independent code analysis during a software project's development, they focus on in-depth review by a few and not primarily the number of "eyeballs".[SUP][5][6][/SUP]

monstercameron

Post by monstercameron »

seana11 wrote:

I'm not sure you understand how open source works. For a very nice explanation, check out The Catheral and the Bazaar.

I am familiar with open source and especially with opensource gaming where the best we can do is xonotic or a supertux cart --- both fun games... I am talking about getting seasoned gfx artists and programmers to get paid for helping this project, not to hire them full time...I am sure that the artist that help the project out are great but having the incentive of money will draw in more or probably higher quality devs. Hell a few months ago ioquake 3 people were talking about a 3d gfx repository because they dont enough people interested.

or even in the situation of implementing the physics engine, having a bounty could draw in someone -part time?- to get the ball rolling or even a bug tracking system where devs get paid to squash bugs.

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

monstercameron wrote:

I am familiar with open source and especially with opensource gaming where the best we can do is xonotic or a supertux cart --- both fun games... I am talking about getting seasoned gfx artists and programmers to get paid for helping this project, not to hire them full time...I am sure that the artist that help the project out are great but having the incentive of money will draw in more or probably higher quality devs. Hell a few months ago ioquake 3 people were talking about a 3d gfx repository because they dont enough people interested.

or even in the situation of implementing the physics engine, having a bounty could draw in someone -part time?- to get the ball rolling or even a bug tracking system where devs get paid to squash bugs.

GSoC

StalKermit
Dragoon

Post by StalKermit »

monstercameron wrote:

the incentive of money

Unless you're the one providing the money I don't think the idea will catch on...

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

We work entirely for free. Money will not become involved in this project.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

I was about to vote 'yes' but then i realised "Who owns this project," and "is willing to pay?" I don't think anyone is, so i changed to "no." This is a free project owned by multiple people as far as i know.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Granger isn't for sale. Period.

gnales
Dretch

Post by gnales »

+1000 Granger only exist for be kill by human :p