StarATCS

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
seana11
Tyrant

StarATCS

Post by seana11 »

Ok, I played 2 games of this as human, and have several issues with balance:

1. The aliens camouflage into the background making it very hard to fight, and essentially turning the game into a war of attrition where the humans cannot directly challenge the aliens. This also makes it very hard to kill aliens in the endgame. A contributing factor to this is the dark coloring of the map and the dark coloring of aliens. This is especially bad in the alien base with the horrible visibility due to obstructions and monochromatic coloring.

Suggested Fix: Change some of these repeating patterns into more solid stuff. For example, the human side could become more plate metal and less ridges. The alien side could be a smoother bark-like substance, or could break the all-black color scheme.

1. There are no good alien bases. The default base is too open, even with the horrible visibility. The om can be shot from the alt entrance very easily while some buddies distract the aliens. The square room is bad because trappers gardening the door can be taken out very easily using a singe nade. There is no other way to prevent humans from running in and nading the om expect right next to that door because there are no good places to put trappers. The third possible non base are the horned tunnels near the alien main entrance. The problem with these is that the only place to stick the om is where the humans can easily shoot it (This may be intentional).

Suggested Fix: Reducing the open areas/height of the alien base would reduce the places for humans to snipe the om/eggs. It would also allow aliens to get closer up. In the square room, raising the height of the ceiling would leave room for a trapper by the door that could prevent human entry and not be as nadeable. Bevelled corners on the ceiling and walls would also give better positioning. Moving the crates closer to the wall, eliminating the crack, would also make it more attractive. I do not suggest making the horns a good base as they would be VERY op given the inability of humans to operate on that terrain.

1. The human base is too large. St the moment, a human builder can easily fill the entire human base with rets because the rc does not fill all the space with power, allowing for repeaters. This is bad since aliens will have a very hard time eradicating the rets.

Suggested Fix: Remove some of the extra space in the back of the human base. This would allow the rc to power more of the room. Moving the rc out onto the ledge with the rest of the structures would also fill space, as well as decreasing the defensive value of the base (Why is it in its own little alcove? The human base is strong enough as it is).

Minor Stuff and Miscellaneous Suggestions:

Extending the cave system under the mound in the center of the asteroid would make a nice human or alien base there. At the moment, nothing is closed off enough to viable.

Both of the square rooms have open doorways at the end of long halls. This allows them to be easily snipable/shootable, and decreases their utility. Shifting/Rotating them so that they could not be attacked from the halls or adding a door would make them much better bases.

The vents are kindof hard to get into in their current positions outside. If they were more recessed instead of protruding, they would be much easier to get into. It is also possible to get semi-stuck in the sides.

Well that's it; hope I helped you out :)

ViruS
Granger

Re: StarATCS

Post by ViruS »

I think it is fine as is although i have to agree on some parts:
-Alien base is too large
-visability is poor (but i like the idea though, but i think this idea should fix it: Give the game engine a built-in feature which allows mappers to create textures which are transparent to aliens, allowing aliens to build better bases. This should counter the annoying stuff for aliens while humans still find it hard to see.)

Also the poles in the human base are plane annoying. They disadvantage the human base because aliens can use it to restart the spinup of turrets with it.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

Kynes

Post by Kynes »

Yalt didn't make the map for Unvanquished, and he might not pay attention to this forum. You might be better off posting your feedback on the Tremulous forum.

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

Kynes wrote:

Yalt didn't make the map for Unvanquished, and he might not pay attention to this forum. You might be better off posting your feedback on the Tremulous forum.

I was crossposted at the same time, but with no reply.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

lol, already saw that a few days ago. I'm stalking you.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage