Newbie Training Seminar

Request new features or present your ideas.
Forty-Two
Mantis

Re: Newbie Training Seminar

Post by Forty-Two »

ViruS wrote:

That's what NA1 is like right now, only that it has unlagged (which doesnt work for me) and has more bots which actually come out of the base.

No, it's not like Wraths at all.

I can try to help with 'setting up training situations', though I'm quite busy as of late..

0 = 0
Quod erat demonstrandum.

KenuR
Tyrant

Post by KenuR »

Ishq wrote:

We plan to have both. An offline tutorial mode as well as a friendly newbie server where new players can learn the ropes without being harassed by the veteran players.

But then there won't be anyone for me to harass... :(

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

I can help with setting up some training situation @Virus

Forty-Two
Mantis

Post by Forty-Two »

By the power of the Forty-Two's!

0 = 0
Quod erat demonstrandum.

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

Forty-Two wrote:

By the power of the Forty-Two's!

:D

WhiteTech
Mantis

Post by WhiteTech »

I think this is a good idea, Ive seen noobies get frustrated quickly with the skill that Trem needs to play and quit then complain how they can't use a dretch....

Maybe even somethings as basic as a video on home page?

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

WhiteTech wrote:

I think this is a good idea, Ive seen noobies get frustrated quickly with the skill that Trem needs to play and quit then complain how they can't use a dretch....

Maybe even somethings as basic as a video on home page?

YES. The only way to get eople to watch this stuff is to stick it in their faces; that means large videos/links on the main/dl page.

ViciouS

Post by ViciouS »

To help beginner why can not all be simply run a 'pollvote' to ask if the players want to do a 'training', with experienced players (or not) on the server.

For implementing a change of map (atcs, utcs, niveus ...). A well constructed base with 'nobaseattack' with a message (CP) indicating the training mode.

g_freeFundPeriod could be change to allow learning evolved alien forms and use human equipment.

Learning by doing ...

Vic.

Forty-Two
Mantis

Post by Forty-Two »

Learning by experience is good. However, the kind of training you're suggesting is pertaining to a more advanced kind of player than complete newbies. They won't benefit much from the kind of training that goes on at, say, the wwF servers. They need to learn the basics before trying to perfect their technique. Consequently, you'd need a server with a team of dedicated admins and helping players to directly teach newbies, and to make sure other non-newbies contribute to the learning of new players, or leave - unvoluntarily if necessary. You'd also need to create an atmosphere on such a server that's friendly, and in addition, you'd need to make sure the 'lessons' are both enjoyable and educational.
The succes or failure of a server dedicated to newbies is how it's set up, really (provided there are any newbies to teach). Wraths was succesful by having, in my opinion, the best admin team that could be found in Tremulous. Similarly, I think you'd need such a team in Unvanquished if you're to make a newbie training server succesful there.

0 = 0
Quod erat demonstrandum.

DGMurdockIII

Post by DGMurdockIII »

I like both idea but but i think you should get a good tutorial made for that game that teach placers how to play the both side like how to build stuff whatesch building dose stuff like