Ballgun | Plasma Shotgun

Request new features or present your ideas.
seana11
Tyrant

Re: Ballgun | Plasma Shotgun

Post by seana11 »

Whales wrote:

This is very true. With the projectile speed buff that the pulse got in GPP, it's truly an excellent choice for a high-dps weapon with a high skill cap.

I think the idea of a weapon that can hit around corners is an interesting one, but I'm not sure if it belongs on the human team. As it stands, one of the largest advantages that the aliens have is the ability to ambush around corners. By sitting around a corner, aliens can force an engagement in a favorable location, where they can reach the humans.

Humans already have the engagement advantage, being ranged-weapon based. Giving the humans a weapon that could flush aliens out of corners may give them too much of an advantage in initiating a direct engagement.

As far as the plasma shotgun goes, how is that any different in function from the existing shotgun?

1. They're just interesting ideas

2. The idea is to create new weapons that have different niches. The pulse doesn't really have something that it alone is good at. This weapon is good at it. This most definitely does not give humans a huge advantage. If the balls did not explode except on self-destruct, there would be significant skill needed to aim it with good effect. It most definitely belongs on the human team since it keeps the aliens on their toes.

3. @Shotgun, this is just a different version of normal that plays with params and such. It could possibly replace it. It might not.

Whales
Dretch

Post by Whales »

seana11 wrote:

The pulse doesn't really have something that it alone is good at.

The pulse is the highest DPS weapon in the game, it offers great area control, but comes with a difficult to aim projectile. That sounds like a niche to me.

seana11 wrote:

This most definitely does not give humans a huge advantage.

I have to disagree with you here. This would be like giving aliens a ranged evolution with a hitscan weapon. It's denying the strongest advantages of one of the teams.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

Whales wrote:

The pulse is the highest DPS weapon in the game, it offers great area control, but comes with a difficult to aim projectile.

I honestly use a pulse rifle and a flamethrower pretty much the same way, only that i can shoot the pulse at a longer distance. I pretty much also use flamethrower like a long-ranged painsaw.

seana11 wrote:

I was thinking of a much shorter self-destruct time. Something like 2-3 seconds.

You do realise thats not much. A speed of 900... Use a blaster to estimate how far it would go. Blaster travels at 1400 units/second from what i last rememebered. Luci secondary is something like 800 [never really looked into it]. Use maths to determine how far you think it would go. I'd say the diameter of atcs middle.
Also, 40dmg/s [410 per second] for a projectile weapon is pretty weak. I'd rather lasgun ([95 per second, 45 dmg/s], hitscan type, forever accurate) in comparison to the ball gun.

Also at the shotgun, it seems a lower quality (lets give it a cost, 80 credits each?) in terms of the projectile speed and the dmg/s. I'd rather my modded 1.1 qvm's shotgun 10 times over this. Its more of a semi-automatic shotgun like a spas (its OP close distance, but the spread is pretty massive and reload is pretty massive as well, with a small clip of 6, has a secondary fire which shoots a short range blast, costs 250)

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

janev
Marauder

Post by janev »

What if you made the bouncing projectiles a secondary firing mode with lower damage output? You could make it so all weapons with plasma* damage have a secondary bouncing attack. Actually secondary firing modes would be cool in general.

*I'm just saying plasma for the sake of the example, you could change the damage type to something else if you felt like it.

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

janev wrote:

What if you made the bouncing projectiles a secondary firing mode with lower damage output? You could make it so all weapons with plasma* damage have a secondary bouncing attack. Actually secondary firing modes would be cool in general.

*I'm just saying plasma for the sake of the example, you could change the damage type to something else if you felt like it.

Bouncing luci balls!

@Virus

I was meaning that the balls would only explode after2 seconds, and nothing could make them explode earlier.

The shotgun stuff definitely could use tweaking. Do you have any suggestions?

Anomalous
Programmer

Post by Anomalous »

seana11 wrote:

I was meaning that the balls would only explode after2 seconds, and nothing could make them explode earlier.

Interesting. Get it wrong and it's right back at you…

Debian and Ubuntu packages (squeeze, wheezy, sid; 12.04, 12.10, 13.04) may work on derivatives

OFFEND! … no, that's not right… ATTACK!

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

Anomalous wrote:

Interesting. Get it wrong and it's right back at you…

It would also give an alien target time to make a move, making it less than OP around new players, but most definitely OP in experienced hands.

E-Mxp
Graphic Designer

Post by E-Mxp »

The ye olde Ballance Mod for tremulous had something like this, but there the bullets kept on bouncing till it hit something or after something like 5 seconds.
Ended up being a very good way of destroying the alien base if 3 Xael-battlesuit guys where spamming there. (I remember it being great fun though).

I do think it is going to be overpowered though, as it basically allowes you to shoot from behind corners.

le mi'a bende cu nitcu lo zbasu

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

E-Mxp wrote:

The ye olde Ballance Mod for tremulous had something like this, but there the bullets kept on bouncing till it hit something or after something like 5 seconds.
Ended up being a very good way of destroying the alien base if 3 Xael-battlesuit guys where spamming there. (I remember it being great fun though).

I do think it is going to be overpowered though, as it basically allowes you to shoot from behind corners.

Have you tried playing it with a smaller self-destruct time or when they didn't explode on contact?

E-Mxp
Graphic Designer

Post by E-Mxp »

Well... no.
I am not even sure if you can get the old mod to run even.

The point still stands though.

le mi'a bende cu nitcu lo zbasu