Sudden death

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
MCMic

Sudden death

Post by MCMic »

Hello,

What are the rules for the arrival of sudden death?
It seems to me that's it's coming too soon.

I even did a match, it was a 3v3 or 2v2 on ATCS new version, I don't remember its name, and the sudden death came before stage 2 (at least for aliens, maybe humans did get stage 2 on time)

Maybe the sudden death should only be activated if both teams are stage 3?

ViruS
Granger

Re: Sudden death

Post by ViruS »

It has happened many times before either team reached stage 2. It is normal. But i agree, humans don't last very long with sd when it arrives at stage 1. Well, that is the point of sd afterall

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

MCMic

Post by MCMic »

Well, the point of sudden death is to avoid a match last too long.
But what is "too long" ?

I for sure think the actual wait value for sudden death is way too short.

I always played Tremulous on LAN, so maximum number of players might have been 4vs4, and in this configuration we never really had a game that never ended. We had some that were a bit too long and sudden death would have helped, but at least half of them would not have need it.
From what I've played every match of Unvanquished end with sudden death, for me that means that it's coming too soon.

I did not try setting up a server and I suppose that the time for sudden death is a setting, so if I ever play Unvanquished in LAN I'll disable it or put a big value. But for online servers I think it would be better if default value was longer (and I'm not sure but maybe it would make more sense if the time limit before sudden death depended on the number of player).

Asvarox
Mantis

Post by Asvarox »

Maybe you joined already on-going match? I mean, for 20 minutes since map load there was nobody playing, then people started joining? I believe the time for SD to begin is 30 minutes which is much more than enough to let both teams get s3. But I think the idea to have SD time depending on when both teams get s3 (like SD starts 10 minutes after last team gets s3) is quite decent one.

MCMic

Post by MCMic »

Hum, that's true, it was the first match we did on the server, we all joined at the same time (we were playing on a server with bots and switched to one without)
So that kind of mean what I found was not a settings problem but a real bug: time should not continue to flow when nobody is on the server. (I'm pretty sure it was empty before our arrival)

Anyway, thanks for lighting that up, that makes sense.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

I think it should have a feature like some other servers had: Reset.
If there are not people on, it should idle on atcshd by default. Then if a player recently joins, it immediately starts timer. A trem 1.1 server had this feature, i forgot what it was called

ImageImageYou[TubeImage