Graph-based evolution

Request new features or present your ideas.
seana11
Tyrant

Graph-based evolution

Post by seana11 »

This was discussed on IRC last night; here is my idea of how this could be implemented:

Instead of having stages, each individual unit has a weighted advancement graph. Whenever a unit makes a kill, he gets .45 of the evos in evo points (or tech points if human). Killing a structure gives .45 evo points . Evo points can be spent to get new classes, with the noted amount of evo points being taken to traverse the graph. Any class or weapon that has been attained by more than half of the team is available free to all the other members.

Alien specific:

The advanced version of aliens may be bought for 1 evo point per available class. For example, if kharnov has bought only the vulture, he will have to pay 3 evos (granger, dretch, vulture). However, if scrape waits for the attainment of goon and mara before buying it, he will need to pay 4 evos (granger, dretch, mara, rant). (This logic assumes that all classes have an advanced version.

Buildables have an advancement graph as well. Weight has not been determined for these, but evo points will be determined based on the evo points the team earns. Any builder can set the current goal which will be automatically bought when there are enough evo points. (Yes, there will be problems, but no more than the current situation)

Simulated use case:

1. Joe spawns
  2. Joe kills 3 dretches, then dies (540 credits, 223 tech points)
  3. Joe spawns, uses 70 tech points for larmour, 20 for helmet, and 150 for shotgun (3 tech points left)
  4. Joe then buys larmour, a helmet, and a shotgun (230 credits left)
  5. Joe kills 2 dretches and gets 1 shot off at a basi before dying. The basi is killed by one of his mates. (815 credits, 266 tech points)
  6. Joe spawns and uses 250 tech points for a lasgun, then buys a lasgun, larmour, and a helmet (405 credits, 16 tech points)
  7. Joe only manages to get 10 shots off at a goon before being maimed.
  8. Joe buys a shotgun and helmet+armour (95 credits, 16 tech points)
  9. Joe kills the goon when it rushes his base with 3 shots (695 creds, 286 techs)
  10. Joe gets the mass driver and buys it (595 credits, 186 techs)
  11. Joe kills 45consecutive dretches before ragequitting after being accused of aimbotting. (8695 creds, 3931 techs)

killing time
Programmer

Re: Graph-based evolution

Post by killing time »

This does not make too much sense to me. What purpose do tech points serve after the first 5 minutes, when every upgrade has been purchased?

Also if I understand this correctly, a player (I think that's what is meant by a "unit") can get a rant in the first 30 seconds. This seems like a very unpleasant idea, since s3 is often the most dull part of the game. The battles that arise at stages 1 and 2 make the game more interesting.

Also the word "Vulture" in the middle of the alien graph is rather puzzling.

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

killing time wrote:

This will be expanded on further in a later blog post. ;)

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

I like the idea of 'tech points' [something like experiance point used to unlock stuff, reminds me of this game : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbfkGSEY8k0] but i don't like specific paths. I would like to still go to mara from basi.
Then again it would be annoying for aliens probably because you'd be stuck dretch for a while.

I'm wondering, what if you feed [more than 3 deaths per kill in a row], you lose tech points? Then again, the enemy would just leach of you easier...

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

KenuR
Tyrant

Post by KenuR »

I don't get it. What's the point of these tech points?

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

KenuR wrote:

I don't get it. What's the point of these tech points?

Layman's terms; it is like money earned from killing that permanently unlocks a class. You know, like in those zombie games where you start with a pistol, and depending on how many zombies you kill, you gain x points and you use those points to unlock guns like shotguns etc. so you can buy them later

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

killing time wrote:

This does not make too much sense to me. What purpose do tech points serve after the first 5 minutes, when every upgrade has been purchased?

Also if I understand this correctly, a player (I think that's what is meant by a "unit") can get a rant in the first 30 seconds. This seems like a very unpleasant idea, since s3 is often the most dull part of the game. The battles that arise at stages 1 and 2 make the game more interesting.

The problem is trying to balence variety with linearity. A very linear game makes it take longer to get rant, but it also means that you'll see a lot of the same classes at the same time, since everyone has to get basi before mara. Branching things out gives the game more variety, but you end up with rants in the first 5 minutes. I'd greatly appreciate suggestions as to the credit-tech point ratio, as that this the main limiter on how long it takes to advance. At the moment, it takes 23 evos for aliens to get all classes. Compare that to the 18 evos per player that it takes to get s3. (3645 for humans, as compared to 3600 to get s3) (Looking at that, that means I need to change the ratio for aliens). I'd also like feedback on what could be changed to make the tree better.

CommanderWill
Dretch

Post by CommanderWill »

I apologize if this sounds like a noob suggestion, but what if there was a 4th stage added to increase the distance/time it takes to become a tyrant? I'm not sure what'd fill in the gap, but that seems like the logical step to take. if you make it wider, you gotta make it longer?

Asvarox
Mantis

Post by Asvarox »

CommanderWill wrote:

I apologize if this sounds like a noob suggestion, but what if there was a 4th stage added to increase the distance/time it takes to become a tyrant? I'm not sure what'd fill in the gap, but that seems like the logical step to take. if you make it wider, you gotta make it longer?

I think the whole idea is to drop stages altogether.

I generally like the idea, numbers are subject to tweaking. I always thought it'd be cool if we could buy small upgrades to each class/weapon. Like + 10% fire rate to lasgun or 10% faster regen rate to mara. These would be extremely expensive and not balance breaking, and with one upgrade excluding other (f.e. you can either have 10% bonus regen rate or 1 sec shorter regen delay when last hit was from an enegry weapon) this could bring some more personalization to the game and provide evo/tech point the purpose for a little longer.

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

Asvarox wrote:

I think the whole idea is to drop stages altogether.

I generally like the idea, numbers are subject to tweaking. I always thought it'd be cool if we could buy small upgrades to each class/weapon. Like + 10% fire rate to lasgun or 10% faster regen rate to mara. These would be extremely expensive and not balance breaking, and with one upgrade excluding other (f.e. you can either have 10% bonus regen rate or 1 sec shorter regen delay when last hit was from an enegry weapon) this could bring some more personalization to the game and provide evo/tech point the purpose for a little longer.

Natural selection has something like this. This guide may give you an idea of what they have.

EDIT: this guide is clearer, and with images: http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns/static/ ... anual.html