Modular Environment Introduction

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
velociostrich
Dragoon

Re: Modular Environment Introduction

Post by velociostrich »

Ishq wrote:

Welcome Jack. When you say static meshes, do you mean to use convert to ase or obj meshes and reconstruct them in radiant? While that is definitely feasible, it'll be a PITA to manually handle vis.

I'm fairly certain that by static meshes, he means that he intends to use meshes made outside of Radiant so that they can be re-used without duplicating BSP geometry. I don't know how q3map (or whatever it's called) handles PVS calculations for static meshes, but I would think that this would greatly speed PVS calculation as it'd likely use just an AABB or other simpler representation and not consider every tri as a potential splitting polygon. I am not a mapper, but I understand this to be the norm in UDK; you're not actually supposed to use brushes to construct level geometry in that.

residentzack wrote:

I would like to become acquainted with the Unvanquished engine and its limitations.

I'm not the guy to ask with regard to mapping limitations, but you may be interested in some tidbits on the wiki. (I'm responsible for a large portion of the wiki content, but I don't know much about mapping so that area is rather sparse. I do modeling and animation mostly.)

residentzack wrote:

Also, where can I get a build for the game? I have radiant installed, but I need the game configuration.

Do you mean that you need a latest dev build of Unvanquished, or do you just need the game configuration for Radiant for Unvanquished? If you need a build, see the wiki, otherwise, you'll have to ask EmporerJack, Supertanker, or Ingar about that.

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

@velociostrich: I think that wiki page contains an error. A model can support up to 128 bones, not 64. Otherwise human model wouldn't work at all. I took a responsibility to fix that

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

Oh lols. Welcome zack!
[omg its freaky to say my name]

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

velociostrich
Dragoon

Post by velociostrich »

gavlig wrote:

@velociostrich: I think that wiki page contains an error. A model can support up to 128 bones, not 64. Otherwise human model wouldn't work at all. I took a responsibility to fix that

At the time I wrote that, the engine constant (I don't recall what it was) was set to 64. `Ishq told me this and I verified myself, iirc, but I guess it's been bumped up. I've made a note of that.

jm82792
Animator

Post by jm82792 »

Zack are you already acquainted with a 3d modeling package?
If so that's great, but if not I can help you out with Blender as I've been using it for years(You'll have to learn the nuances associated with exportation and such). I don't have a lot of time, so I'd rather help others learn then do the work myself :)