[does'nt work yet] Unvanquished mapping with DarkRadiant

Ask questions about mapping in general, and show off your in-progress work.
illwieckz
Project Head

[does'nt work yet] Unvanquished mapping with DarkRadiant

Postby illwieckz » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:51 am UTC

Last edited by illwieckz on Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:04 pm UTC, edited 6 times in total.
This comment is licensed under cc ​​by 4 and antecedent.
illwieckz
Project Head

Re: Unvanquished mapping with DarkRadiant

Postby illwieckz » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:27 am UTC

Very good stuff I discovered: there is quake3 brush read support, quake3 patch read support and quake3 patch write support, quake3 brush write is missing, and that texture issue probably comes from bugs in that quake3 brush read support.

But you know what? These formats were only introduced in DarkRadiant 10 month ago, so these issues are just bugs because the work was started 10 month ago and just has to be polished and finished! :grin: It also means they are ok to merge Quake3 related stuff since they started to implement it themselves, and they probably will not refuse fixes on what they started to implement! :bsuit:
illwieckz
Project Head

Postby illwieckz » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:42 am UTC

illwieckz
Project Head

Postby illwieckz » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:47 am UTC

Except that texture scaling issue, that looks very good:

As you see, the decorative turrets are rendered in DarkRadiant, something that is missing in-game.
Viech
Project Head

Postby Viech » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:34 pm UTC

This does look really promising. We strongly want an editor that's maintained and DarkRadiant also offers features that can come in handy later, such as proper support for Doom 3-Era entity/dynamic lights. Would be really nice if we could get it fully working by contributing to the root repository.
Responsible for: & , (map), (map texture editor), (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction
greebo

Postby greebo » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:11 am UTC

Hey there folks,

by chance I noticed your fork and bumped into this thread. Just wanted to pop in and say hello, it's nice to see that DarkRadiant is used for different projects as well. I'm the person behind the https://github.com/codereader/DarkRadiant repository and as it seems I'm the only personl left working on the project. But that's not a complaint, it's just how things are. :)

While DR doesn't really follow the "we-want-to-support-all-games-under-the-sun" approach of the original GtkRadiant, I'm happily accepting contributions that are compatible with the codebase. :) So if there are small things that might improve compatibility with your game (i.e. game packs or map format plugins or Python scripts), I'm happy to include this in upstream development. If you rather want to go ahead with your fork, that's fine with me of course as well. I can try to offer advice or answer questions, if that helps.

Also nice to read about the confirmation that it compilesin OSX, it was only recently when started to fool around using an old MacBook, setting up the Xcode project such that it compiles and generates a portable app package. Nice to see that effort led to something.

I'm not the person with a lot of online time on my hands, but I'm usually reachable through the DarkRadiant forums over at forums.thedarkmod.com. If this board is sending out mails for private messages or thread subscriptions, I might monitor this thread as well.
illwieckz
Project Head

Postby illwieckz » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:02 am UTC

Last edited by illwieckz on Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:38 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
greebo

Postby greebo » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:35 am UTC

cu-kai
Web Crew
Clan: CU

Postby cu-kai » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:18 pm UTC

Web Raccoon
greebo

Postby greebo » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:28 am UTC