Blocking

Request new features or present your ideas.
seana11
Tyrant

Blocking

Post by seana11 »

Ok, so blocking is really annoying; we've all been killed because a teammate was in the way. So it needs to be reduced.

I was thinking about the relative sizes of the aliens today. Dretches could fit under pretty much every alien except for the basilisk, and the basi could fit under everything except the dretch and the mara. Unfortunately, hitboxes cannot be changed to accommodate this, as discussed in http://unvanquished.net/forum/showthrea ... ward-Slide. So what if dretches and basis could pass straight thought rants and the like? It would prevent a lot of block. One thing I can see being a problem, is basis healing goons and rants from inside them, thus keeping themselves safe, and getting some armor as well. Another is that a rant might become a barricade, and let swarms of dretches attack the enemy, then retreating to behind the rant to heal.

ViruS
Granger

Re: Blocking

Post by ViruS »

I'd say the easiest method is to prevent collisions between dretches and rants.
But i like your idea,though i dont really agree with marauder on top of dretch, marauders are fast enough to jump over with ease and their dodging abilities, i dont think i ever heared about anyone complaining about dretch blocking mara my whole time ive played trem with an exception of vents.

Qrntz
Dragoon

Post by Qrntz »

Ignoring collision altogether is not really a good way to avoid blocking. You even proved this in your own post.
Not to mention it will look broken.
What we could do, though is either encouraging players to use wallwalk more (which they, honestly speaking, don't use to its full extent) or implement some sort of momentary burrowing that won't conceal the player enough to let him remain invisible, but will get his bbox out of the way of others.
Burrowing ability limited by amount of time spent burrowed could be interesting as well both for timed ambushes and preventing «burrowcamp».
I think I've seen the burrowing idea mentioned here already, by the way…

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

How would that look? @burrowing

Qrntz
Dragoon

Post by Qrntz »

I've no idea.
Okay, perhaps I do. Perhaps it'd leave a visible hole in the ground where the alien is burrowed.

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

Qrntz wrote:

I've no idea.
Okay, perhaps I do. Perhaps it'd leave a visible hole in the ground where the alien is burrowed.

What would it look like in some of the space station maps? And what if there's a room directly below the one where the alien burrows? We already have this problem with dead things sinking into the ground. (Dretches floating in midair are not a feature).

JOURNEYMAN
Dragoon

Post by JOURNEYMAN »

Make wall walking permanent for dretches and basilisks.

Grab reality by the balls and squeeeeze!

Lecavalier~
Dretch
Clan: Pk, Formerly DSPro

Post by Lecavalier~ »

JOURNEYMAN wrote:

Make wall walking permanent for dretches and basilisks.

phpBB [video]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc[/video]

StalKermit
Dragoon

Post by StalKermit »

seana11 wrote:

we've all been killed because a teammate was in the way.

I don't remember that ever happening.

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

My suggestion is teamwork and coordination. It is frustrating, but that should encourage you to work closer not cuss each other out.