Unvanquished Suggestions: Aliens

Request new features or present your ideas.
RustyNaps

Unvanquished Suggestions: Aliens

Post by RustyNaps »

Hi, Rusty here. I have done alot of playing by myself on bot servers because I is on west coast and rarely see people because your all asleep :(. Anyway here are some New content suggestions/assets.

I have came up with some new aliens and advanced versions of others.

ADVANCED DRETCH: This dretch is much larger, has the same amount of health but has a parasitic capability. On touch on head the adv dretch makes it's way to the hosts neck and taps into it's spinal chord. Once tapped in it has the full control over its host for 15 seconds. This parasitic capability does not work on humans wearing helmets or battlesuits.

ADVANCED TYRANT: This version of the Tyrant trades it's speed, toughness and trample abilities for a mass amount of strength (enough to put down a battlesuit in 3 blows) and a beam that can be fired from it's mouth, Do to these mutations the adv Tyrant is very slugish and goes down quicker.

FRAKK: The frakk is a flying enemy roughly half the size of a regular human and resembles a monstrous looking dragonfly. The frakk has a bite as it's primary attack which is venomous and a secondary ranged attack where it fires a sort of crystal made from its body from the tail. The frakk is very durable due to its quick regeneration.

SIREN: A amphibious alien which can survive in water and on land. added speed in water makes it deadly for humans to swim, it's main attack is a rapid fast bite usually is a burst succession, this can be extremely fatal when going towards the head. It does not have much health.

Here are some new base assets for the Aliens.

SIPHONER: A base asset that steals health from the players to heal the overmind.

AGGRESSIVE BARRICADE: Like the regular barricade but the tentacles have joints and are able to move armed with deadly spine that pierces through armor.

RAGE BOOSTER: Boosts attack damage by 5%, cancels out normal booster or hard

HARD BOOSTER: Boosts defense by 8%, cancels out normal booster or rage

FUMIGATOR: Like acid tube but sprays a toxic gas in the air that slows human players down. Does not work on battlesuits.

That is all I got for suggestions atm. Keep up teh work.

ViruS
Granger

Re: Unvanquished Suggestions: Aliens

Post by ViruS »

ADVANCED DRETCH: This dretch is much larger, has the same amount of health but has a parasitic capability. On touch on head the adv dretch makes it's way to the hosts neck and taps into it's spinal chord. Once tapped in it has the full control over its host for 15 seconds. This parasitic capability does not work on humans wearing helmets or battlesuits.
Thats kinda copying ideas from other games like half life.
ADVANCED TYRANT: This version of the Tyrant trades it's speed, toughness and trample abilities for a mass amount of strength (enough to put down a battlesuit in 3 blows) and a beam that can be fired from it's mouth, Do to these mutations the adv Tyrant is very slugish and goes down quicker.
Its useless. Sounds like dragon ball.
FRAKK: The frakk is a flying enemy roughly half the size of a regular human and resembles a monstrous looking dragonfly. The frakk has a bite as it's primary attack which is venomous and a secondary ranged attack where it fires a sort of crystal made from its body from the tail. The frakk is very durable due to its quick regeneration.
lolwut, look at the flying alien in Natural Selection. Its pretty much the same except the gas-crystal shooting thing.
SIREN: A amphibious alien which can survive in water and on land. added speed in water makes it deadly for humans to swim, it's main attack is a rapid fast bite usually is a burst succession, this can be extremely fatal when going towards the head. It does not have much health.
SIPHONER: A base asset that steals health from the players to heal the overmind.
Cool, but most structures die before humans get to the overmind, therefore being useless.
AGGRESSIVE BARRICADE: Like the regular barricade but the tentacles have joints and are able to move armed with deadly spine that pierces through armor.
Reminds me of dead space. It can produce graphical problems such as having arms going through walls.
RAGE BOOSTER: Boosts attack damage by 5%, cancels out normal booster or hard
Name does not suit it. I dont see a point of it existing. Boosters do not attack in the first place
HARD BOOSTER: Boosts defense by 8%, cancels out normal booster or rage
Cancelling out other boosters as well as them cancelling out this. In other words, a paradox.
FUMIGATOR: Like acid tube but sprays a toxic gas in the air that slows human players down. Does not work on battlesuits.
thats like the basi gas if you fuse 1.1-gpp basi.

Honestly, i don't like these ideas. We might as well give humans a mothership to bomb aliens every 20 kills/player on team.

Please try to think about balance and whether people will like it or not, and its usefullness. Take the "screamer" from L4D One for example. It was thrown out because i couldn't be played in versus mode, it couldn't specify a specific target, and the boomer had all of these ideas fixed into it in the final version.

RustyNaps

Post by RustyNaps »

I don't think you heard any of my ideas clearly sir. First off the Rage booster and the Hard don't attack they just boost up the existing stats of near by aliens. the ADV Tyrant is for the lack of aliens with range capabilities, The Frakk exists because there are no flying aliens and since these aliens in this game are adaptive they would have a mutation to be able to be on par with human jetpackers. ADV Dretch is there for when the alien teams are low on points so they actually have something worth while to fight back with, also it is very different from half-life because it doesn't mutate the host it just take temporary control of the host.

Honestly, I don't think you know what a beta is, I'm trying to help the developers. I have read multiple threads with very good ideas such as mine. Also you don't have to go directly off my ideas you can compensate and modify them to your liking. And this is actually very balanced with the new human stuff I came up with. Also I really think you don't know how to read either :\

RustyNaps

Post by RustyNaps »

Also what I meant by cancel out was if one exists you can't build the other one.

JBiscuitz
Mantis

Post by JBiscuitz »

I was going to start a new topic on this, but since I see that there is this one, I figure ill pass along my idea here.

Let me start by asking, is there plans to go beyond the 3 evolutions/reinforcements? Are we sticking to the balance of threes or aiming for 4-5 stages of progression for both sides?

What I would like to see in unvanquished is another form of the marauder. The marauder is my favorite class to play, and although the current system is fairly balanced with marauders only going s2 in forms of evolution, if there was a third marauder option I would be all for it.

Perhaps a marauder with slightly more health (200-225?), slightly increased damage (very slight, good marauders can still pwn!), increased evolution cost (4-5), and an electrical charge changed to either a short concentrated beam that can be held for a short time (as opposed to the iffy targeting of the current one) or an electrical charge that surrounds the marauder as an AOE type of attack.

Not asking for base destroying capabilities or more hopping options (double jump ftw!!!!!!1), just something that I would love.

Marauder
Advanced Marauder
(Complete?) Marauder

RustyNaps

Post by RustyNaps »

I am not a dev or a admin I just had some good ideas that needed to be posted that quickly got shot down from ViruS because it was "too similar to other games", All I have to say is there is nothing new under the sun :P. Anyway I was thinking of 4-5 stages so the game would be more intense and sudden death wouldn't be activated so quickly like it is now. I did have a thought about after the advanced classes we have the Elite classes for some of the aliens. Like what you said you would like to see another marauder that would be called an Elite Marauder. And this new alien stuff I came up with is very balanced with the new stuff I came up with for the humans that I will post here soon.

danmal

Post by danmal »

JBiscuitz wrote:

I was going to start a new topic on this, but since I see that there is this one, I figure ill pass along my idea here.

Let me start by asking, is there plans to go beyond the 3 evolutions/reinforcements? Are we sticking to the balance of threes or aiming for 4-5 stages of progression for both sides?

No one's really talked about going adding any more stages although it's certainly a possibility. If you're thinking about designing new stages here's a few things I'd keep in mind:

• Each stage should have a purpose or theme. For instance S1 is about fighting. S2 is about base destroying (adv goon + adv mara are available) while S3 is the snowball stage. Small advantages in S3 should snowball a team towards victory. Currently the stages do need some work (especially S3).

• Games shouldn't go for too long. 20 minutes per match is probably about right

There's some good ideas about classes however some things to think about are:

• Would the class be fun to play against? For instance against the parasitic dretch the human would effectively be unable to play for 15 seconds which kind of sucks

• Does it occupy a unique niche? For instance the basilisk and the dragoon occupy two distinct niches. The lisk supports your team with CC and increased healing while the goon deals out the damage. Having two classes that do the same thing isn't great because the class that does it better ends up being picked 90% of the time.

• Does it create new gameplay? Will players have to change their play style or adapt when playing against or with the new class/buildable? Your rage suggestion doesn't create any new gameplay. Players don't have to do anything new to deal or use rage (this is a problem with a lot of passive effects).

Disclaimer: I don't work on gameplay/balance stuff so take what I say with a grain of salt (or ignore it entirely if you want). I'd probably concentrate on just a few buildings/classes and really flesh them out.

Anomalous
Programmer

Post by Anomalous »

danmal wrote:

* Does it occupy a unique niche? For instance the basilisk and the dragoon occupy two distinct niches. The lisk supports your team with CC and increased healing while the goon deals out the damage. Having two classes that do the same thing isn't great because the class that does it better ends up being picked 90% of the time.

Depends. If the other class does something else (useful) better, it at least stands a change of being picked often enough.

Let's not forget some sort of disadvantage: some weaknesses, each specific to a class or two.

Debian and Ubuntu packages (squeeze, wheezy, sid; 12.04, 12.10, 13.04) may work on derivatives

OFFEND! … no, that's not right… ATTACK!

RustyNaps

Post by RustyNaps »

Read my human suggestions should balance with the alien suggestions.

KenuR
Tyrant

Post by KenuR »

How about having several subclasses for each alien class?
So when evolving, first, you would have to choose an alien class, and then you would have an option of choosing between several "sublcasses" of this class which cost additional evos and have additional abilities or a perks.
So, for example, if you choose a granger, a menu would pop up where you would have a couple of different grangers to choose from.

• Granger
    Russian Granger: deals extra damage against bears.
    Ninja Granger: throws ninja stars instead of barbs.
    Robot Granger: shoots laser beams.

This is obviously just a representation, to help understand the idea and the same idea applies to all classes, not just grangers. The actual subclasses could have additional abilities like poison, increased speed, invisibility, increased health etc.
This, imo, would add a lot of depth to the game and make it a bit less confusing ("Advanced something" doesn't rerally make a whole lot of sense).

The same idea could also be implemented for humans.

EDIT: One hundred posts! woot woot