Chaingun SFX

Release and discuss things you've made, including mods.
KenuR
Tyrant

Re: Chaingun SFX

Post by KenuR »

Best sounds I've heard so far. (out of all the other attempts)

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Rifle
Works much better in rapid fire, it sounds a bit shallow though, maybe add a tad more bass?

Lasgun
Non-short version is good but I'd reduce the percussion bit even more. The main sound and the exhaust together should work just fine.

Pulserifle
Good direction, flash could sound a little stronger.

Chaingun
Good sound, I'd take the bass version.

Lucifer Cannon
Doesn't really work yet, the flash sound is way too long, which creates sound artifacts.

A spin sound for the chaingun barrel would be nice. I guess we'd need a seperate spinup, spindown, and looping sound for that.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

CocaneStyle

Post by CocaneStyle »

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42208799/LgunV4.wav
New Las gun sfx.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/422 ... v2bass.wav
New rifle sfx, I increased the bass by 5db so it should be noticeable.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/422 ... ifleV2.wav
New Pulse rifle sfx, I messed with the treble and added a touch of noise so it should sound a little more aggressive.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/422 ... lashv2.wav
New Lucy cannon fire sfx, I reduced the unnecessary length (which was just as long as the default one) and normalized it slightly.
Though I don't understand what you mean by "Doesn't really work yet".

I might be able to do a spinup, spindown, and looping sound for the chaingun but you would actually need to code that in.

(this work is under CC BY-SA 3.0)

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Lasgun, Rifle
Sound better now.

Pulse
Sounds very good now.

Lucifer
Works, it was really the length of the effect that broke it.
I like the flash and missile travel sound a lot. The impact sound is fine but the delayed sizzle doesn't really fit (maybe it would work without the delay but I'm not sure). The idle sounds like a distant fan to me. I don't know how a good idle would sound like, maybe it would be better to have none at all.

Before we include your sounds we would need to normalize them, I have the feeling some of them are too loud.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

CocaneStyle

Post by CocaneStyle »

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/422 ... %20sfx.zip
Weapon sfx pack, has all final weapon sfx.

I normalized all sfx that would have a chance to cause artifacts and lowered the volume of the idle lucy cannon.

Edit: Removed old metadata on chaingun firing sounds.
(this work is under CC BY-SA 3.0)

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Updated shotgun and lasgun sound good, luci idle is fine now. Luci impact sizzling still sounds a bit odd to me, apart from that I guess all the sounds are fine now. If you want to change anything, you'll have time until the Alpha 19 release. Once we add them you'll be a contributor! :smile:

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

The main problems I have with these sounds is that they don't match up too well with the power of the weapons. A lot of them have too much bass for the weapon they are, but some don't have enough.

more bass on shotgun
less bass on lasgun
less bass on md (but same volume)
chaingun needs to be much louder
blaster needs less bass. it's such a weak gun, it shouldn't be louder than the shotgun
luci needs a louder explosion (It's hard to hear it)

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

seana11 wrote:

The main problems I have with these sounds is that they don't match up too well with the power of the weapons. A lot of them have too much bass for the weapon they are, but some don't have enough.

more bass on shotgun
less bass on lasgun
less bass on md (but same volume)
chaingun needs to be much louder
blaster needs less bass. it's such a weak gun, it shouldn't be louder than the shotgun
luci needs a louder explosion (It's hard to hear it)

I disagree, bass levels don't need to match the DPS of a gun. The blaster sound is awesome and the chaingun already sounds very powerful. For the shotgun, I'd say the bass is too much if anything. If you are concerned about realism, think about it that way: It makes sense that futuristic heavy duty guns don't kill the rifleman's ears while small emergency sidearm guns may have some more noise output.

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

Viech wrote:

I disagree, bass levels don't need to match the DPS of a gun. The blaster sound is awesome and the chaingun already sounds very powerful. For the shotgun, I'd say the bass is too much if anything. If you are concerned about realism, think about it that way: It makes sense that futuristic heavy duty guns don't kill the rifleman's ears while small emergency sidearm guns may have some more noise output.

It doesn't matter if it's futuristic; people associate loudness and bass with a more powerful weapon. They won't read this thread, and they won't know that the blaster only does 10 damage.

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

Who is Trappa Keepa?