Get rid of console completely and forever

Request new features or present your ideas.
StalKermit
Dragoon

Re: Get rid of console completely and forever

Post by StalKermit »

freem wrote:

Which tutorial? Is it available in game? If yes, I did not find it.

It's the tutorial mode. In the main options menu. But I see what they've done. You have to stand next the reactor for the message to pop up that says "Press Q to refill your energy weapon's ammo at the Reactor".

EDIT: Hrm. It never actually said it in the original Tremulous. My mistake.

StalKermit
Dragoon

Post by StalKermit »

freem wrote:

In the main menu, I have:

_ play
_ help ( which in fact reflects the changes, it is not a real help to learn how to play if you are not a tremulous player )
_ options
_ demos ( empty )
_ mods
_ quit

In options, I have a lot of stuff, but have found nothing related to a tutorial. About the popups, that would be a good feature to do, but are not here in unv.

Go to options and it's the fourth one down after name.

Ingar
Mapper

Post by Ingar »

Evidently the game should be completely playable without console. Apart from that: people who like commandlines are usually those who, for example, write unvanquished game code.

StalKermit
Dragoon

Post by StalKermit »

StalKermit wrote:

Go to options and it's the fourth one down after name.

I just had a thought. It may have been removed in a later version because I haven't updated in ages.

lamefun
Tyrant

Post by lamefun »

Ingar wrote:

Evidently the game should be completely playable without console. Apart from that: people who like commandlines are usually those who, for example, write unvanquished game code.

And the best way to accomplish that is to remove console completely and forever and replace it with GUI, since developers/players who know about console might simply not bother to make any GUI simply because they don't need it. Any game that's unplayable without console can already be considered dead.

Anomalous
Programmer

Post by Anomalous »

/ban lamefun 0 "No. THIS is malicious!"

Debian and Ubuntu packages (squeeze, wheezy, sid; 12.04, 12.10, 13.04) may work on derivatives

OFFEND! … no, that's not right… ATTACK!

Anomalous
Programmer

Post by Anomalous »

lamefun wrote:

And the best way to accomplish that is to remove console completely and forever and replace it with GUI, since developers/players who know about console might simply not bother to make any GUI simply because they don't need it. Any game that's unplayable without console can already be considered dead.

Some good points there. However, we need both GUI and console, and there'll probably always be some things which are much more conveniently done via the console. (Also, dedicated servers need console since they have no GUI.)

Debian and Ubuntu packages (squeeze, wheezy, sid; 12.04, 12.10, 13.04) may work on derivatives

OFFEND! … no, that's not right… ATTACK!

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

Anomalous wrote:

yes

lamefun
Tyrant

Post by lamefun »

Anomalous wrote:

Not getting rid of console is FAR more malicious in the long run than banning players left and right. Firstly, even without the Global Government's brainwashing, maintaining both good CLI and GUI interface requires some significant motivation, since when one of them has a certain feature, there's little motivation for the developers to implement it in the other one. In projects where developers are paid this is solved by hard hierarchy and monetary rewards. And there's also the Global Government's brainwashing. Here's an inconvenient truth you'd rather deny: the Global Governments wants this game dead! Gaming the current weakest link of Free Software. That's why for crushing emerging Free Software games in early stages of development is the easiest way to kill the movement for the Global Government! Developers, please understand that you've been brainwashed and do the right thing!

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

:cyclops: