Can't start game (Mint 14)

Get support for Unvanquished.
Woolworm

Can't start game (Mint 14)

Post by Woolworm »

Hi guys, I installed the 9.0 version of the game from the Sourceforge page. After the installation is complete the game doesn't seem to start when I click on the Unvanquished application icon. No error message, did I do something wrong? I use Linux Mint 14.

Thanks for your help.

epicdude
Dretch

Re: Can't start game (Mint 14)

Post by epicdude »

try starting it from a console and see any errors
also look for messages in home folder ~/.Unvanquished/main/crashlog.txt

<N7Reaper> Put your whole fist in
<epicaldude> thats what urmooooom said

Woolworm

Post by Woolworm »

I tried via console but nothing happens, it closes in an instant making it impossible to read a report. The crashlog.txt is not generated because it seems not to be a crash, it doesn't even start at all. I'm thinking about switching back to Mint 13 or Ubuntu...

epicdude
Dretch

Post by epicdude »

copy paste from console all that you do like

me@home:~$ ./Unva/unva
me@home:~$

paste all.

try also running gdb <your program> then "r" and ENTER and paste... try "bt" and ENTER there . install "gdb" first

<N7Reaper> Put your whole fist in
<epicaldude> thats what urmooooom said

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Erm, I wouldn't try doing that.

In any case, did you download all the assets too? The installer should have obtained them for you. If you're unsure, look for an .Unvanquished directory in your home folder. You should see all the pak.pk3 files, and the latest vms.pk3. If not, you can find them on our SourceForge page.

If it's not an asset issue, then there's something with the installer. In that case, you have a few options. You can compile from source, if you know how to do that. If not, you can download the PlayDeb version, which should work just fine, assuming they've updated it for the current month. Or, since you're on a Debian derivative, you might be able to get our Debian packages working for you.