Defenses that are better when the base is left alone

Request new features or present your ideas.
lamefun
Tyrant

Defenses that are better when the base is left alone

Post by lamefun »

There should be defenses that are useful only when the players are outside the base. For example, a structure could hurt team mates more than the enemies and hence activate only when there are no team mates is nearby.

Nuclear turrets have infinite range and shoot beams of cancerous radiation that damage and poison aliens, but they also damage and poison any humans within their line of sight, while also permanently reducing their maximum HP (down to the minimum of 10). So, unless an override command is issued, they hold their fire when there are humans nearby.

Mindful eye should be the alien counterpart of that. Should create hallucination and slow all humans and aliens in its sight, slightly damage humans and prevent aliens from using their special moves, i.e. pounce, trample, strafejump (so that aliens can't longer catch up with them).

illwieckz
Project Head

Re: Idea: Base defenses should encourage attacking

Post by illwieckz »

Hi lamefun, I think what you describe are defenses that discourage the opponent team to attack. And since you are the opponent of your opponent, I think you describe defenses that discourage yourself to attack.

Nuclear turrets have infinite range and shoot beams of cancerous radiation that damage and poison aliens, but they also damage and poison any humans within their line of sight, while also permanently reducing their maximum HP (down to the minimum of 10). So, unless an override command is issued, they hold their fire when there are humans nearby.

It's basically the rocket pod except poison and some variables:

• infinite range
  • damage humans
  • disable itself

And you see, the rocket pod is far far lighter than your suggestion, and is already discouraging to attack, and can teamkill yourself when you just spent all you hard earned money to buy your shiny weapon (what you call frustration and elitism :tongue: ).

This comment is licensed under cc ​​by 4 and antecedent.

lamefun
Tyrant

Post by lamefun »

illwieckz wrote:

Hi lamefun, I think what you describe are defenses that discourage the opponent team to attack. And since you are the opponent of your opponent, I think you describe defenses that discourage yourself to attack.

It's what defenses are meant for, to discourage the opponent from attacking. The problem is that defenses work together with campers, and attackers can't bring their defenses with them.

illwieckz wrote:

And you see, the rocket pod is far far lighter than your suggestion, and is already discouraging to attack, and can teamkill yourself when you just spent all you hard earned money to buy your shiny weapon (what you call frustration and elitism :tongue: ).

It's more about user experience than elitism. And, of course, you can be teamkilled by a rocket pod, but rocket pods still do more damage to the aliens than they do to the humans, especially humans they camp behind rocket pods and shoot precision weapons or spam Lucifer cannon.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

I agree with the general concept, defenses that are better when the base is undefended are pretty much what we should be aiming for. Both the rocket pod and the spiker were design with this in mind, though one could argue that the rocket pod is still a bit aggressive.

PS: I don't get how your idea corresponds to the thread title. Yes, we should encourage attacking in general. However, base denfeses are pretty much the last thing suited for this as obviously they are there to spoil attacks. If you think of it the other way round, then yes, base defenses that are stronger when left alone encourage you to leave base, but leaving base doesn't mean you're attacking, you could just camp the entraces.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

lamefun
Tyrant

Post by lamefun »

Viech wrote:

leaving base doesn't mean you're attacking, you could just camp the entraces.

It means that the enemy can fight you on fair terms (no defenses helping you) and if anyone retreats, attack-encouraging defenses will stop working.