Alpha 24 – download at your peril (probably)

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
Viech
Project Head

Re: Alpha 24 – download at your peril (probably)

Post by Viech »

DwarfVader wrote:

sounds like a realy 'user friendly' install/upgrade routine....

We call this "Alpha" for a reason. User friendlyness and balance are exactly the two things that are pointless to maintain on a high level when you aim for quick development of integral parts of the game and its engine.

If you run the game in its current state, you are an alpha tester. We don't force you to write detailed bugreports but please stop complaining. Complains alone only lead to improvment when you have a "the customer is king" doctrine. We don't even have customers.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

DwarfVader
Mantis

Post by DwarfVader »

so the only hint, that this version is going to not work probably for people who upgrade from a previous version is:

Alpha 24 – download at your peril (probably)

?

I mean, you have the fancy homepage, you do polls about this and that, you write articles about concept art and huge news texts etc. and you are realy going to tell me a simple sentence at the end of every release news how to probably update and/or install is asked too much?

If you are unable to provide f.e working *deb packages, you should temporarily shutdown the Linux distro's specific install methods support and only offer a generic ZIP package for all distros. But again a little hint in the release news would then be necessary too ...
Don't try to fool me into this 'spare-time-ressources-main-focus-1st-semester-economic-school-blabla'... I just don't belive you viech :tongue:

one sentence with a propper hint isn't asked too much and a working installroutine isn't also imho.
So if you like, see my critism as 'alpha test' of your current way to communicate news to the players. result: :thumbdown:

DwarfVader

Anomalous
Programmer

Post by Anomalous »

Problem's fixed. Builds are under way; packages should be available this evening (GMT).

Debian and Ubuntu packages (squeeze, wheezy, sid; 12.04, 12.10, 13.04) may work on derivatives

OFFEND! … no, that's not right… ATTACK!

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

I updated the Archlinux package to make use of the (experimental) new torrent distribution system that I envision to eliminate our dependency on sourceforge in the future. Update to unvanquished 024.0-3 or later to test and tell me if you encounter any errors. (Note that assets have to be redownloaded regardless of your previous version. The upside is that it should be as fast as a strafe-jumping downhill dretch!)

If you want to support this asset distribution network either with a webseed (simply a directory on a 24/7 webserver with a domain or static IP) or a torrent seed please contact me via forum PM, IRC or mail (my nick at unvanquished.net). Any speed share is welcome for torrent, webservers should offer atleast 8 Mbit/s upload so individual downloads of bigger files aren't slowed down.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Anomalous
Programmer

Post by Anomalous »

Viech wrote:

I updated the Archlinux package to make use of the (experimental) new torrent distribution system that I envision to eliminate our dependency on sourceforge in the future.

I don't see this being useful for installing .debs, but as an option for other installation methods, definitely a good thing.

I could add to download-pk3.sh support for downloading from our server (or a mirror)…

Debian and Ubuntu packages (squeeze, wheezy, sid; 12.04, 12.10, 13.04) may work on derivatives

OFFEND! … no, that's not right… ATTACK!

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

The benefit of this is the ability to download from multiple sources simultaneously. For instance, sourceforge may generally give less than desirable download speeds, but for some people, our server may be worse. Likewise with the mirror. Being able to download from all of them at the same time means you will probably get a decent mirror with decent speed, and no one mirror will be overwhelmed with traffic (not that we have to worry about that at this stage).

arf
Dretch

Post by arf »

Had the same problem as DwarfVader. New package did indeed fix it :thumbup:
I'm also getting competitive framerate + all sorts of shaders I've never seen before. Must have been some ridiculous settings that were purged upon deleting .unvanquished.

Noticed that Yocto is clicking wildly & some servers are stuck on station 15, but I'm guessing that's already known.

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

You're gonna like it even more next release when we have compressed textures. Early tests have shown that map loading times have gone down to a few seconds for something like ATCS.

DwarfVader
Mantis

Post by DwarfVader »

ok, so now the updated .deb packages worked for me (0.24.0-3ubuntu13.10) and I could install/upgrade the game via apt-get.
But still:

• I can't play at all! how to get to the join menu? left click doesn't work. so I'm still stuck with the spectatormode.

• terrible crippled sounds. not just in the main menu in the game as well - from what i could hear beeing only spectator.

• language setting doesn't work. i want to set it to english, but it sticks with german. profile delete/recreate/restart doesn't work(around it).

DwarfVader

majkifajki

Post by majkifajki »

You're gonna like it even more next release when we have compressed textures

I noticed, that with 3,5 GB of free RAM and 256 MB GPU, with r_compressed* all on 1, I get 4 GB of RAM usage and frequent "hangs" during walking the maps - prolly caused by lack of free RAM on GPU.

Is OpenGL texture compression working correctly?