BUMP MAPPING

Ask questions about mapping in general, and show off your in-progress work.
x10ded

Re: BUMP MAPPING

Post by x10ded »

I used Photoshop, but it can be done with gimp as well. This is actually my first normal map, but I've done few bump maps before.
Last step before you create a normal map, is to create a bump map (for simple tile textures).
Bump map is gray scale image, where higher things(tile) end up whiter, than lower things(fugues, cracks).
Fortunately in your texture tiles are placed perpendicular and selecting them was easy.
Next thing what I did, I simply selected tiles and erased them (filled with white).

tut1.jpg

After that was done, convert image to gray scale (desauturate image).
At this step you can adjust brightness and contrast of fugues and cracks.
Then I selected white tiles and applied some (Gaussian)blur, so edges look bit softer.
(On image increased contrast and blur are hardly noticeable).

tut1.jpg

And this is it. This is how bump maps look like.
Now you just apply normal map filter and you should end up with similar results.
(Its not perfect because there are still many small things you could improve, to make it more "realistic"... But that would be too much to explain)

Attachments
tut2.jpg
icaro440
Marauder

Re: BUMP MAPPING

Post by icaro440 »

x10ded wrote:

I used Photoshop, but it can be done with gimp as well. This is actually my first normal map, but I've done few bump maps before.
Last step before you create a normal map, is to create a bump map (for simple tile textures).
Bump map is gray scale image, where higher things(tile) end up whiter, than lower things(fugues, cracks).
Fortunately in your texture tiles are placed perpendicular and selecting them was easy.
Next thing what I did, I simply selected tiles and erased them (filled with white).
[ATTACH=CONFIG]207[/ATTACH]

After that was done, convert image to gray scale (desauturate image).
At this step you can adjust brightness and contrast of fugues and cracks.
Then I selected white tiles and applied some (Gaussian)blur, so edges look bit softer.
(On image increased contrast and blur are hardly noticeable).
[ATTACH=CONFIG]208[/ATTACH]

And this is it. This is how bump maps look like.
Now you just apply normal map filter and you should end up with similar results.
(Its not perfect because there are still many small things you could improve, to make it more "realistic"... But that would be too much to explain)

mmmm, i see, clever! You pre-'ve edited the original texture, so first you applied a white layer to the top of the tile, with this pre-edited image, you made a bump map file (after desaturate the pre-edited texture) so when you made the normal map (using the bump map file), the white area seems less irregular.

its a photograph I took of a real street pavement near my house. Now looks close to the real one, really, its fantastic.

so the secret is to pre-edit the original texture.

Well, your lesson has been helpful, thank you for your time, and this mini-tutorial you have posted here, thank you very much.

I will use this technique to make my next normal maps....oh and you know when this will occur? ......the next year :D

Happy New Year to all. ;)