SOUND FILES - NET RADIANT

Ask questions about mapping in general, and show off your in-progress work.
icaro440
Marauder

SOUND FILES - NET RADIANT

Post by icaro440 »

Hi, I'm learning to use the program net radiant, and I tried to put a sound which is in ogg format (music, on a specific area of the map) but I've noticed that net radiant only let me use WAV files, which require much more memory than ogg files.

Is this correct? I can only use wav files, or is there any way i could use ogg files in the map editor?

ViruS
Granger

Re: SOUND FILES - NET RADIANT

Post by ViruS »

Just put the name down like how you would with the .wav file.
Last time i actually used sound files was a test to replicate the "dancing quake" from Paint 7.
When i did it, i had to manually type the path "sound/paint/bennyhill.wav" so in your case, if it's a .ogg already installed into a .pk3 file you have, you would do "sound/[folder/whatever you used, if not, ignore this]/<soundfilename>.ogg

I did this like two years ago or so, so i'm not sure if it's still the same in a newer radiant, if a newer one came out.

Whatever i said might be wrong, so use what i said as a last preference.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

icaro440
Marauder

Post by icaro440 »

you mean something like this?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8225401/fotos/capture1.jpg

didnt work :(

but thanks for your help.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

um... yeah.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

velociostrich
Dragoon

Post by velociostrich »

icaro440 wrote:

I tried to put a sound which is in ogg format (music, on a specific area of the map) but I've noticed that net radiant only let me use WAV files

I have very little experience with NetRadiant, but the engine supports .ogg, so you should (theoretically) be able to place .ogg sound files on your map. When you say that you've "noticed" that NetRadiant (and not the engine?) only lets you use wav files, do you mean that you place an ogg file in NetRadiant and it does not play, but when you place a wav file, it does? Does NetRadiant play the sound in the editor, or is this what you find when you run the game? I think ViruS is partly correct; (I would think that) the path should be precisely whatever it is in the .pk3. I.e., don't prepend the path with "sound" unless the file is in a subdirectory called "sound". Also, it may have been possible that you compiled the engine without ogg support (if you compiled it yourself, which I would assume is not the case given that you are evidently running Windows), so install the dependencies for that and re-compile if that's the case.

icaro440
Marauder

Post by icaro440 »

velociostrich wrote:

I have very little experience with NetRadiant, but the engine supports .ogg, so you should (theoretically) be able to place .ogg sound files on your map. When you say that you've "noticed" that NetRadiant (and not the engine?) only lets you use wav files, do you mean that you place an ogg file in NetRadiant and it does not play, but when you place a wav file, it does? Does NetRadiant play the sound in the editor, or is this what you find when you run the game? I think ViruS is partly correct; (I would think that) the path should be precisely whatever it is in the .pk3. I.e., don't prepend the path with "sound" unless the file is in a subdirectory called "sound". Also, it may have been possible that you compiled the engine without ogg support (if you compiled it yourself, which I would assume is not the case given that you are evidently running Windows), so install the dependencies for that and re-compile if that's the case.

when you place a wav file, it does?

yes, it does, (in game)

Does NetRadiant play the sound in the editor, or is this what you find when you run the game?

its what i find when i run the game

Also, it may have been possible that you compiled the engine without ogg support (if you compiled it yourself, which I would assume is not the case given that you are evidently running Windows), so install the dependencies for that and re-compile if that's the case.

aaahh, here is the problem :( im using a pre-compiled version for windows... so you mean that this version has not ogg support??

why? why me? :´(

and what about the pre-compiled version for linux? same?

i have no problem in using the linux version, my system is dual,

But it turns dark if I have to compile, I'm not accustomed to that. (I did it once with a QVM)

I guess I must forget the music for now... xd

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

If you can hear the main menu music, OGG support works for you. Windows builds do have ogg support.

icaro440
Marauder

Post by icaro440 »

i hear the main menu music perfectly.

On the other hand, I edited the sound file (stereo to mono), but still does not play during the game.

icaro440
Marauder

Post by icaro440 »

icaro440 wrote:

i hear the main menu music perfectly..

LOL, i like the drum and bass time, more drum and bass pls!

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

The guitar kinda ruins it.

Btw, whoever composed the music, what program/soundfont was used? I need to either get a better soundfont or find a better program because i still get the clanky type sounds...

ImageImageYou[TubeImage