Getting started in NetRadiant

Ask questions about mapping in general, and show off your in-progress work.
CommanderWill
Dretch

Getting started in NetRadiant

Post by CommanderWill »

I'm ready to try my hand at mapping for unvanquished, I've got netradiant downloaded but I'm not quite sure how to configure it correctly for Unvanquished, opposed to other games.

EmperorJack
Mapper

Re: Getting started in NetRadiant

Post by EmperorJack »

To begin with you will need NetRadiant to have the tremulous game pack installed (trem.game folder and trem.game file). So the same files you would use for Tremulous mapping. Unvanquished doesn't have it's own game pack yet. Ingar's NetRadiant packages come with the trem files installed : http://ingar.satgnu.net/gtkradiant/index.html

Unvanquished uses "main" for it's fs_game instead of the traditional "base". For the files to load correctly in NetRadiant you must rename "main" to "base". You must also rename back to "main" if you wish to play after you finish compile and close radiant. An alternative option is to run Unvanquished with "fs_game base", thus you will not have to rename every time and reopen NetRadiant.

Also watch out opening NetRadiant with the folder name "main" will cause a new "base" folder to be created in your Unvanquished directory.

If you are wondering how some of the new engine features still work it is because q3map2 does have some capability of compiling these in (such as normal and specular mapping). Though some other features will require a full move to the new daemonmap (such as shadowmapping). This compiler is not 100% reliable yet and so we use q3map2 for now.

EmperorJack

CommanderWill
Dretch

Post by CommanderWill »

Awesome, that helps a lot! I also have a few more questions. Do you recommend mapping in Ubuntu, or Windows? I have both but certain programs seem to favor one OS. Also, are there any tutorials in particular that you recommend? I've been watching the ones by Carterproductions on YouTube, they're pretty helpful, although based on Alien Arena.

EmperorJack
Mapper

Post by EmperorJack »

I use Windows only and have no experience with mapping in any other OS. The only problem I can think of is that radiant and q3map2 and 32bit on windows, so less ram can be used. I have a way to get around this but it is only necessary when you have a fairly large developed map compiling with advanced lighting. I'm guessing that either OS should be fine.

Tutorial wise our wiki page has a bunch of resources you can use: http://unvanquished.net/wiki/index.php/Mapping
The "Useful mapping links thread on Tremulous forums" leads to even more links too so there is heaps to look at and should keep you sorted. :)

If you have any specific queries or need help feel free to ask.

EmperorJack

CommanderWill
Dretch

Post by CommanderWill »

EmperorJack wrote:

I use Windows only and have no experience with mapping in any other OS. The only problem I can think of is that radiant and q3map2 and 32bit on windows, so less ram can be used. I have a way to get around this but it is only necessary when you have a fairly large developed map compiling with advanced lighting. I'm guessing that either OS should be fine.

Just realized I'm running Ubuntu 64bit, I guess I'll be using windows 7 until it's supported.

Thanks for the wiki and everything, I'm gonna get to work and see how far I can get. I haven't done much mapping in the past, but I did spend a few years doing 3d mechanical drafting, so that should count for something.

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

For Ubuntu, there are probably 64bit builds available.

danmal

Post by danmal »

It's the third download here.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

I map on Archlinux 32 bit and compile on Archlinux 64 bit. I compiled netradiant and q3map2 on both machines from source, see the build() section in this PKGBUILD for instruction.

Also you should put this support package containing common shaders in your tremulous/unvanquished installation, so they are displayed correctly in the editor.

CommanderWill
Dretch

Post by CommanderWill »

Sounds great, maybe I'll be able to map in 64bit Ubuntu after all. I haven't gotten Unvanquished itself running in it though, but that's probably a small mistake by me

CommanderWill
Dretch

Post by CommanderWill »

I've been reading through that wiki a bit, it looks like there's a way to start maps using Blender, I think I might try my hand at that as I have had more experience using Blender than radiant tools. Is there any major downsides to doing it that way?

Also, noob question, I've got netradiant mostly set up, but I'm not sure which folder I'm supposed to set the engine path to. I've tried setting it to Unvanquished, and Trem.game, but neither seems to load any shaders, I'm pretty sure I'm just dumb and missing something obvious, but if you could point that out to me, it'd be helpful.