Auto-Update

Release and discuss things you've made, including mods.
ViruS
Granger

Auto-Update

Post by ViruS »

Is there a possibility of a source-code auto-update feature linked with the github source, so I can start modding Unv?

People have been saying to me over the year to port KoRx over to Unv. I'm not good at porting, so my initial idea is to add feature-by-feature into the source (something like what I did to my gpp-1.1 arena mod) which will probably take a long 2 or 3 years considering how busy I am at this age.

There's also the problem with auto-updates, for example If I edit several lines all-together, the patch won't be able to find where it needs to apply, and also it may replace one of my codes without me knowing or checking. I've had bad experience with patches in the past (In total, I've applied 3 bugfix patches to my gpp-1.1 from external sources, 2 of which failed and corrupted my code further, taking me about 3 months to find them all (most?) ).

If there's no suitable auto-update feature/application, then I'll just have to wait until beta (which I originally planned to do, but that'll be in like, 2016, saying this year is the 2nd quartile)

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

Kynes

Re: Auto-Update

Post by Kynes »

Read the git documentation, it does everything you want. You should do work on a local branch and merge the master branch in when it updates.

Offtopic, but I want to clear this up:

that'll be in like, 2016, saying this year is the 2nd quartile

When we talk about quarters we're talking about a quarter of a year. The plan is to get to beta by next year, but that could change depending on how this year goes. Game deadlines are notoriously hard to pin down.

ViruS
Granger

Re: Auto-Update

Post by ViruS »

Read the git documentation, it does everything you want.

Not really. I'm still struggling to get the libraries necessary to compile it. I have no clue how to use visual studio, rather it's the ui that I don't like.

I need to know the git commands/flags/whatever for updating, i'll assume it's probably 'pull' by itself.

But if I really have to, I'll move to visual studio but it will get some time before I can actually start putting KoRx gameplay into it as well as compiling.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage