Such a great game, but....

Request new features or present your ideas.
OldTremPlaya

Such a great game, but....

Post by OldTremPlaya »

People for some reason never heard of it. Would you guys consider hosting the game on Steam? I think it would make the game more popular.
Also, a small change: we shouldnt have to jump to get pass through a node. I suggest being able to just walk through it, isntead of jumping.
I really, REALLY hope the community of this game will grow. But you guys should think about a way to make it more viable. Such a good game, but nobody knows it even exists.

killing time
Programmer

Re: Such a great game, but....

Post by killing time »

Why should the telenode be the only building humans can pass through? Perhaps they should also be able to hide inside the armory :advmarauder:

OldTremPlaya

Post by OldTremPlaya »

killing time wrote:

Why should the telenode be the only building humans can pass through? Perhaps they should also be able to hide inside the armory :advmarauder:

I didnt expressed myself right, so ill be more clear about it.
Im saying the telenode is an obstacle, like the armoury or the sentry. You need to jump over them to keep moving. The medstation works differently. You can step on it like a stair, you go automaticaly over it, without having to jump. Im saying the telenode should act just like the medstation, a building you dont need to jump over to pass through it, thats what i meant.

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

Would you guys consider hosting the game on Steam?

We are not against the idea of being available on Steam. By the way, it's important to say that Steam is not an hosting service. Putting a game on Steam is not about hosting files, it's about publishing a game, and publishing a game is full time job.

So, first, it's a publisher job, it requires time and dedication. I wouldn't be surprised if the required amount of work was among the reasons why Reaction failed to release on Steam after being greenlit.

Second, Steam is known to be very punctilious (and they must be), in particular they ask a proper right for every file in the game. Some decades-old open-source projects that were greenlit are still to be released on Steam years later because “man, this guy disappeared 20 years ago”. That's what happened to Quetoo after having been greenlit years ago. I'm not saying they will not be released one day, but the day is still to come.

And then comes the issue: we still have some files from Tremulous and Tremulous was not punctilious at all on sound filess. So until we have replaced all those Tremulous sound, Steam cannot be an option.

Third, Steam costs money. Not so much, but someone has to pay. I don't think that's a big problem for us in any way.

Fourth, someone has to be "the one Steam speaks to", usually the owner. This issue is able to destroy active community-based open source projects. Look at what happened with Nexuiz/Xonotic (Nexuiz name owner sold the name and guys had to change the name to continue, and they lost all their public coverage in the process, and they never recovered the player base), so Xonotic guys would never give the ownership to someone after that. You can also look at how Warsow exploded in flight after having been greenlit. Going to Steam is a way to destroy projects, really, because of drama about “who owns the game”.

Fifth, the publishing path on Steam is not putting us under spotlights any more (Greelight program is gone), so there is no real benefit if we don't advertising the game, with or without Steam. This issue is not preventing us to go on Steam, but it means the effort has far less advantages than it had. Given experiences from other open source games that were published on Steam, it's not clear there is a huge benefit. It's not going on Steam that gives players or coverage, what give players and coverage is the communication effort around the publication effort, Steam or not. The Steam publication does not do so much by itself.

One of the big reason we would go to Steam is to prevent us to be SteamSquated, to avoid what is happening to Warsow where some unknown people are going to publish a fork without the owner, without the actual developers and without the community.

So we have nothing against going on Steam but it is a lot of work. If you wanna see the Unvanquished game on Steam, the better you can do is to help us to replace all the remaining sounds from Tremulous, because those are showstoppers. As long as those to-be-replaced sounds remains, Steam looks to not be an available option.

We can't go to Steam as long as there is files in this repository: github.com/UnvanquishedAssets/res-legacy_src.dpkdir
You can help us to make our release on Steam happening. :wink:

This comment is licensed under cc ​​by 4 and antecedent.

OldTremPlaya

Post by OldTremPlaya »

illwieckz wrote:

Would you guys consider hosting the game on Steam?

We are not against the idea of being available on Stea. By the way, it's important to say that Steam is not an hosting service. Putting a game on Steam is not about hosting files, it's about publishing a game, and publishing a game is full time job.

So, first, it's a publisher job, it requires time and dedication. I wouldn't be surprised if the required amount of work was among the reasons why Reaction failed to release on Steam after being greenlit.

Second, Steam is known to be very punctilious (and they must be), in particular they ask a proper right for every file in the game. Some decades-old open-source projects that were greenlit are still to be released on Steam years later because “man, this guy disappeared 20 years ago”. That's what happened to Quetoo after having been greenlit years ago. I'm not saying they will not be released one day, but the day is still to come.

And then comes the issue: we still have some files from Tremulous and Tremulous was not punctilious at all on sound filess. So until we have replaced all those Tremulous sound, Steam cannot be an option.

Third, Steam costs money. Not so much, but someone has to pay. I don't think that's a big problem for us in any way.

Fourth, someone has to be "the one Steam speaks to", usually the owner. This issue is able to destroy active community-based open source projects. Look at what happened with Nexuiz/Xonotic (Nexuiz name owner sold the name and guys had to change the name to continue, and they lost all their public coverage in the process, and they never recovered the player base), so Xonotic guys would never give the ownership to someone after that. You can also look at how Warsow exploded in flight after having been greenlit. Going to Steam is a way to destroy projects, really, because of drama about “who owns the game”.

Fifth, the publishing path on Steam is not putting us under spotlights any more (Greelight program is gone), so there is no real benefit if we don't advertising the game, with or without Steam. This issue is not preventing us to go on Steam, but it means the effort has far less advantages than it had. Given experiences from other open source games that were published on Steam, it's not clear there is a huge benefit. It's not going on Steam that gives players or coverage, what give players and coverage is the communication effort around the publication effort, Steam or not. The Steam publication does not do so much by itself.

One of the big reason we would go to Steam is to prevent us to be SteamSquated, to avoid what is happening to Warsow where some unknown people are going to publish a fork without the owner, without the actual developers and without the community.

So we have nothing against going on Steam but it is a lot of work. If you wanna see the Unvanquished game on Steam, the better you can do is to help us to replace all the remaining sounds from Tremulous, because those are showstoppers. As long as those to-be-replaced sounds remains, Steam looks to not be an available option.

We can't go to Steam as long as there is files in this repository: github.com/UnvanquishedAssets/res-legacy_src.dpkdir
You can help us to make our release on Steam happening. :wink:

Wish i could help with that. Looks like the only thing i can do to help is to recommend the game to my friends, then.
Good luck with the project. Gonna play the game sometimes, even if im alone with the bots.