Chaingun SFX

Release and discuss things you've made, including mods.
CocaneStyle

Re: Chaingun SFX

Post by CocaneStyle »

Ahh that must be left over meta data from some of the sounds I sourced, I thought I had got rid of it all so it would be nice you could tell me which files still have them..

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

That's not important. His sounds are not licensed in a way that we can use. Removing the metadata doesn't make the sounds okay to use...

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

If you want any of these sounds in the next release we'll need a list of all sources and their licenses before sunday. We can't expose our successor projects to the same license issues that we are facing right now. If you want an example of a source/license listing have a look at the COPYING section of my readme file for parpax.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

CocaneStyle

Post by CocaneStyle »

I'm pretty sure I don't have to cite my sources as I have created new original content and is therefor fully mine, it doesn't mater if I used copyright or unlicensed work.

CocaneStyle

Post by CocaneStyle »

I'm not going to bother arguing that my work isn't a derivative because I honestly just think you're wrong.
Also the final rifle and shotgun sfx do not use his work, they use sounds from a Cortex Command mod which are actual sounds of guns.

Finally, couldn't we just like, ask him for permission?

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

As long as we know all samples/sources of a sound and they have a fitting license that's fine. So if you can get him to publicly re-release his work under a creative commons license that has neither ND nor NC in it (e.g. CC-BY-SA), we can take the relevant sounds, crediting both you and him.

With regards to recordings of rifle shots, I'm really uncertain about the global legal situation. Even if we were very likely to win in a hyptothetical court situation, it would still be nice of us that if someone claims to be author of those we will credit that person and respect his or her licensing, too. Maybe Cortex Command has a listing of their asset's licenses?

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

ShienoO

Post by ShienoO »

When attacking with chaingun with the attack button tapped, the emitted sound effect stream is somewhat choppy (or in other words, has these weird millisecond pauses). 2.2.0 (r748) is fine and doesn't suffer from this problem.