Shadows?

Get support for Unvanquished.
Chomps123
Dretch

Shadows?

Post by Chomps123 »

You said there are new shadows but they don't seem to work for me

I've taken the new .zip file and extracted it over the old unv but i've seem to of lost shadows all together (except for the blobs)

Help me out please...

Don't just live life with work.
Find some time every day to have some fun. ;)

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Re: Shadows?

Post by kharnov »

Please describe this further. Which renderer are you using? Did you set the cvars I listed in the article?

Chomps123
Dretch

Post by Chomps123 »

i click on deamon.exe like always and started a test server fired my gun while in third person view and saw no shadow from the gun flash, normally there would be but now...nope.

I had alpha 16 and i just overwritten it with alpha 17.

Also i tried to type in cg_playershadows 1 but it didn't work, it said cg_playershadows didn't exist.

icaro440
Marauder

Post by icaro440 »

Shadows look very good, but I have noticed a small problem; it is as if the models (player models) shine and illuminate the map in its path.

also when I activated the shadows, I perceived a slight drop in fps. (wich is logical)

And a few question:

r_smp, good for something?.

cpu or gpu? which one is responsible for calculating shadows.

I guess you agree with me that modern computers are real monsters, it would be fantastic that the engine could take well advantage of modern processors, and separate some processes in different threads (I'm thinking of the work of calculating the shadows)

Congratulations.

danmal

Post by danmal »

Don't extract it over an old copy of Unvanquished. You may end up loading old assets or code. Just extract to a new directory and run it from there.

Fuma
Programmer

Post by Fuma »

icaro440 wrote:

r_smp, good for something?.

cpu or gpu? which one is responsible for calculating shadows.

I guess you agree with me that modern computers are real monsters, it would be fantastic that the engine could take well advantage of modern processors, and separate some processes in different threads (I'm thinking of the work of calculating the shadows)

r_smp is a dead cvar that does nothing because the support for it was compiled out.
All shadows are done on the gpu. Doing it on the cpu would be terribly slow.
The only things the cpu does is setup a few matricies and vectors and passes references to the gpu after doing a bit of occlusion culling using the static visibility data and frustum culling using the viewport. All of this is so cheap it basically isn't even a factor in the speed.
The gpu handles all the work of creating the shadow and projecting it on the scene.

The work the cpu does for shadows is very minimal. Unless you have an absolute beast of a gpu, it is unlikely to be the bottleneck in shadows rendering.
If you do have such a gpu, then you can already run at a constant 150+ fps at all times anyway, so I doubt you would care what the bottleneck was ;).

icaro440
Marauder

Post by icaro440 »

Fuma wrote:

r_smp is a dead cvar that does nothing because the support for it was compiled out.
All shadows are done on the gpu. Doing it on the cpu would be terribly slow.
The only things the cpu does is setup a few matricies and vectors and passes references to the gpu after doing a bit of occlusion culling using the static visibility data and frustum culling using the viewport. All of this is so cheap it basically isn't even a factor in the speed.
The gpu handles all the work of creating the shadow and projecting it on the scene.

The work the cpu does for shadows is very minimal. Unless you have an absolute beast of a gpu, it is unlikely to be the bottleneck in shadows rendering.
If you do have such a gpu, then you can already run at a constant 150+ fps at all times anyway, so I doubt you would care what the bottleneck was ;).

Crystal clear, thank you.

Chomps123
Dretch

Post by Chomps123 »

thanks that worked

now i got this going on

Attachments
unvanquished_2013-07-20_161258_000.jpg

Chomps123
Dretch

Post by Chomps123 »

can someone help me fix this?

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

I experienced similiar issues. I don't think shadows are ready yet.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction