Game freezes

Get support for Unvanquished.
JOURNEYMAN
Dragoon

Game freezes

Post by JOURNEYMAN »

Every time I get killed, the game freezes, and I have to restart the computer. Does anyone else have same problem?

Grab reality by the balls and squeeeeze!

danmal

Re: Game freezes

Post by danmal »

Yes, what distro are you running and what graphics card do you have?

A work around is to build in debug mode.

Anomalous
Programmer

Post by Anomalous »

Telnet or ssh in from another computer, check the kernel log (dmesg) and the X log (/var/log/Xorg.0.log) for relevant errors. If there are problems, there'll at least be a backtrace; if not, just the PID of the running instance of the game (ps ax | grep daemon, and kill that with extreme prejudice (kill -9 PID. replacing the italics with the listed process ID).

You should never need to reboot “because a game freezes”.

JOURNEYMAN
Dragoon

Post by JOURNEYMAN »

I use
OpenSuSE 12.1
Dell Inspiron 600M
1.4 GHz Pentium M
ATI Radeon 9000
Yes, it's rather old system. but it works for my needs.

Heh. I've never had to kill process before that I totally forgot about it. Will do next time. Also, I'll try to build in debug mode and see how that goes.

Qrntz
Dragoon

Post by Qrntz »

To be honest, I've never even needed some another computer to kill a frozen Unv executable.
YMMV, but I always could switch to a free tty and kill it from htop.

danmal

Post by danmal »

Looks like the bug might have something to do with ati cards then. I assume you're using the closed source drivers?

JOURNEYMAN
Dragoon

Post by JOURNEYMAN »

I believe they are closed source drivers. One of the reasons I got the ATI with the laptop was that, at the time ATI was actively supporting Linux community by developing Linux drivers for their graphics card.

When I remembered the kill process, I pressed Ctrl-Alt-F4 to switch and killed it from there. If you don't use it you lose it. :)

Anomalous
Programmer

Post by Anomalous »

AMD still are, but more for (much) newer hardware.

While there's still open-source support for the R200-series graphics hardware (and, for that matter, R100-series), I recall something about sure that fglrx no longer containing support for anything prior to R300, so the lowest supported would be the 9550. I don't know about prior to R600 – that would restrict support to the HD2000 series and newer.

If you have xf86-video-ati in use and at least one of radeon and radeonfb (kernel modules) are in use, then you have the open-source driver.