possibility of universal protocol

Request new features or present your ideas.
ViruS
Granger

possibility of universal protocol

Post by ViruS »

I'm just curious, what's the possibility that UNV may actually be compatible with tremulous protocol, even though they are very much different underneath the skin when it comes to the engine?

With tremulous finally reached its predicted death of having less than 2 players at any given time at least for half a day (even though right now as I'm typing it has 12 players online excluding an admin seed bot), it might still not be too late to give them a taste of unvanquished.

Also its scary how accurate my predictions are, I made this back in like 2013-2014(?) shortly after I joined KoR (although I predicted it back in 2012-2013 when aussie assault was still around before UNV killed it off lol), which I then adjusted my predictions to 2019 in 2014 with weird stuff happening in 2014-2015

Gireen
Graphic Designer
Clan: [DoH]

Re: possibility of universal protocol

Post by Gireen »

Probably zero.
I mean technical possible is it but there is no much use to it.

A complete classic server with old tremulous models would be more useful. :defcomp: :leech: :tesla: :thumbup:

KoR never heard of that. Was that some spice from the tremulous lore? :tongue:

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

Yeah, I don't see any need for an universal protocol. I even find the idea weird from the start. What's the point of updating stuff if you have to not update stuff ? Why caring about old builds ? Most of the breakages are there to improve stuff that cannot be fixed without breaking things, basically to fix design.

A mod porting tremulous gameplay and reusing legacy assets would do the job very well.

Oh, and hello @Gireen :-)

This comment is licensed under cc ​​by 4 and antecedent.

Gireen
Graphic Designer
Clan: [DoH]

Post by Gireen »

:bsuit:

Is it still possible to use the old Tremulous models or would they need to be ported?

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

The engine still supports the old tremulous model formats, so a tremulous-like mod is very doable.

This comment is licensed under cc ​​by 4 and antecedent.