VM: Failed to exec- No such file or directory - on openSUSE

Get support for Unvanquished.
vish99

VM: Failed to exec- No such file or directory - on openSUSE

Post by vish99 »

I'm playing unvanquished on openSUSE 13.2. Installed it from the openSUSE repo.

I'm not able to start a local game and get error messege Unvanquished - VM: Failed to exec- No such file or directory

See the daemon.log-1 http://paste.opensuse.org/1626919

Later I was advised to download/copy maps to /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/
But, having done that, the problem didn't solve, plus I got more errors in daemon.log. See daemon.log-2 http://paste.opensuse.org/19001029

In daemon.log I got errors like 3Warn: Invalid pak name:

The present contents of /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/

Code: Select all

akash@akash:~> ls /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/
map-antares_a01.pk3       map-forlorn_a8.pk3            map-orion_trem.pk3     map-plat23_b13.pk3             map-thunder_b3+2.pk3
map-antares_a03+1.pk3     map-forlorn_a9+1.pk3          map-parpax-b03h.pk3    map-plat23-b5.pk3              map-thunder_b3.pk3
map-antares_a04+1.pk3     map-karith-gpp.pk3            map-parpax-b04a.pk3    map-plat23-b6.pk3              map-thunder-b3.pk3
map-antares_a04.pk3       map-karith_trem+1.pk3         map-parpax-b04.pk3     map-plat23-b7.pk3              map-transit-gpp.pk3
map-arachnid2-gpp.pk3     map-karith_trem.pk3           map-parpax-d01.pk3     map-plat23-b8.pk3              map-tremor-gpp.pk3
map-arachnid2_trem+1.pk3  map-methane-beta1.pk3         map-parpax-d02b.pk3    map-plat23-b9.pk3              map-tremor_trem+1.pk3
map-arachnid2_trem.pk3    map-methane-beta1_trem+1.pk3  map-parpax-d02c.pk3    map-procyon-r1.pk3             map-tremor_trem.pk3
map-atcshd-gpp2.pk3       map-methane-beta1_trem.pk3    map-parpax_d02d.pk3    map-sirius.pk3                 map-UTCSfinal.pk3
map-atcszalpha-b2.pk3     map-moonbase_a6+crn.pk3       map-parpax-d02.pk3     map-snowstation-b4.pk3         map-UTCS_trem+1.pk3
map-bluedragon2_b3.pk3    map-moonbase_a6.pk3           map-parpax_d03a+1.pk3  map-spacetracks_1.0+1.pk3      map-UTCS_trem.pk3
map-chasm_b1+1.pk3        map-nano.pk3                  map-parpax_d03a.pk3    map-spacetracks_1.0.pk3        map-veddak-final.pk3
map-chasm_b1+2.pk3        map-nano_trem+1.pk3           map-parpax_d03.pk3     map-spacetracks-r1.pk3         map-wrecktify_b2.pk3
map-chasm_b1.pk3          map-nano_trem.pk3             map-parpax_d04.pk3     map-spacetracks-r1_trem+1.pk3  map-yocto-a916.pk3
map-chasm-b1.pk3          map-nexus6-gpp.pk3            map-parpax_d05~1.pk3   map-spacetracks-r1_trem.pk3    map-yocto_b1a.pk3
map-citadel.pk3           map-nexus6_trem+1.pk3         map-perseus-b3.pk3     map-station15_1.0~1.pk3        map-yocto-b1a.pk3
map-cruz-b6.pk3           map-nexus6_trem.pk3           map-perseus_b4d.pk3    map-station15_1.0~2.pk3        map-yocto-b1.pk3
map-Eden-b3.pk3           map-niveus-gpp.pk3            map-perseus_b5a+1.pk3  map-station15_1.0.pk3          map-yocto_b2a+1.pk3
map-forlorn_a10+1.pk3     map-niveus_trem+1.pk3         map-perseus_b5a.pk3    map-station15-r1.pk3           map-yocto_b2a.pk3
map-forlorn_a10.pk3       map-niveus_trem+2.pk3         map-plat23-b10.pk3     map-station15-r1_trem+1.pk3    map-yocto_b2c+1.pk3
map-forlorn_a11.pk3       map-niveus_trem+3.pk3         map-plat23_b11+1.pk3   map-station15-r1_trem.pk3      map-yocto_b2c.pk3
map-forlorn_a4.pk3        map-niveus_trem.pk3           map-plat23_b11.pk3     map-thunder-b1a.pk3
map-forlorn_a5.pk3        map-orion-beta2.pk3           map-plat23-b11.pk3     map-thunder-b1.pk3
map-forlorn_a6.pk3        map-orion_trem+1.pk3          map-plat23_b12.pk3     map-thunder-b2.pk3
map-forlorn_a7.pk3        map-orion_trem+2.pk3          map-plat23_b13+1.pk3   map-thunder_b3+1.pk3

Have filled bug also https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=917766
What should be done now.

I've also posted on openSUSE games sub-forum https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread. ... -directory

Akash Vishwakarma
Acer V3-571G - openSUSE 13.2 KDE

illwieckz
Project Head

Re: VM: Failed to exec- No such file or directory - on openS

Post by illwieckz »

Hi!

About the “3Warn: Invalid pak name:”, it's because you have plenty of outdated files (all pk3s that does not contains a version number like that: “pakname_version.pk3”. This issue is not a problem at all since Unvanquished just says it will not load files that must not be loaded since they are deprecated.

You can safely remove them:

rm /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/map-arachnid2-gpp.pk3 /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/map-atcshd-gpp2.pk3 /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/map-atcszalpha-b2.pk3 /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/map-chasm-b1.pk3 /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/map-citadel.pk3 /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/map-cruz-b6.pk3 /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/map-Eden-b3.pk3 /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/map-karith-gpp.pk3 /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/map-methane-beta1.pk3 /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/map-nano.pk3 /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/map-nexus6-gpp.pk3 /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/map-niveus-gpp.pk3 /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/map-orion-beta2.pk3 /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/map-parpax-b03h.pk3 /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/map-parpax-b04a.pk3 /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/map-parpax-b04.pk3 /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/map-parpax-d01.pk3 /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/map-parpax-d02b.pk3 /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/map-parpax-d02c.pk3 /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/map-parpax-d02.pk3 /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/map-perseus-b3.pk3 /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/map-plat23-b10.pk3 /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/map-plat23-b11.pk3 /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/map-plat23-b5.pk3 /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/map-plat23-b6.pk3 /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/map-plat23-b7.pk3 /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/map-plat23-b8.pk3 /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/map-plat23-b9.pk3 /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/map-procyon-r1.pk3 /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/map-sirius.pk3 /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/map-snowstation-b4.pk3 /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/map-spacetracks-r1.pk3 /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/map-station15-r1.pk3 /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/map-thunder-b1a.pk3 /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/map-thunder-b1.pk3 /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/map-thunder-b2.pk3 /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/map-thunder-b3.pk3 /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/map-transit-gpp.pk3 /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/map-tremor-gpp.pk3 /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/map-UTCSfinal.pk3 /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/map-veddak-final.pk3 /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/map-yocto-a916.pk3 /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/map-yocto-b1a.pk3 /home/akash/.unvanquished/pkg/map-yocto-b1.pk3

About “Unvanquished - VM: Failed to exec- No such file or directory” (that is a problem) see this comment:

Viech wrote:

Try to start the game from a terminal emulator with +reset vm.game.type. If this doesn't work, try to run it with +set vm.game.type n, where n is 0, 2, 4 and 5. Whatever value works for you you can then store to configuration by replacing set with seta. Please report back what value worked for you.

Perhaps you have a wrong value stored?

vish99

Post by vish99 »

illwieckz wrote:
Viech wrote:

Try to start the game from a terminal emulator with +reset vm.game.type. If this doesn't work, try to run it with +set vm.game.type n, where n is 0, 2, 4 and 5. Whatever value works for you you can then store to configuration by replacing set with seta. Please report back what value worked for you.

Perhaps you have a wrong value stored?

reset vm.game.type
set vm.game.type 4
/devmap forlorn

This worked, map started

akki^7 entered the game
akki^7 joined the humans

:smile:

Though in daemon.log I see some warnings

^3readconfig: ^7could not open admin config file admin.dat
^3Warning: ^7"colorGrade" deprecated. Please use "gradingTexture"
^3Warning: ^7Entity misc_teleporter_dest1 ^7(^5misc_teleporter_dest^7|^5#132^7) uses a deprecated classtype — use the class ^5pos_target^7 instead
^3Warning: ^7Entity ^5#141^7 contains deprecated field ^5team^7 — use ^5group^7 instead
^3Warning: ^7Entity ^5#142^7 contains deprecated field ^5team^7 — use ^5group^7 instead
^3Warning: ^7Entity ^5#149^7 contains deprecated field ^5team^7 — use ^5group^7 instead
^3Warning: ^7Entity ^5#150^7 contains deprecated field ^5team^7 — use ^5group^7 instead

Other errors/warnings

...GL_GREMEDY_string_marker not found

maprotation.cfg file not found.

See, http://paste.opensuse.org/5767250 for detailed daemon.log

Akash Vishwakarma

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

This worked, map started

Nice. :thumbup:

About all the warnings, it seems they are not significant at at all for you:

• The entities warning is for the mapper (he must update his map).

• The maprotation warning is for servers admin, same for admin.dat, you have these two warnings only because you are hosting a game (with devmap) and you have not configured your server, you will not get that if you connect as a client to an online server.

• The GL_GREMEDY notice seems to be an OpenGL extension issue, so it's seems to be server side / mesa side, or hardware-related, if the game start and rendered correctly/playable, it's not a problem.

So, all seem OK for you now, welcome to the game. :grin:

vish99

Post by vish99 »

1. Why am I not able to start map with default vm.game.type value?
  2. Is any thing wrong in the pacakages as mentioned by Viech at github unvanquished issue 512?
  3. Should I report a bug at github unvanquished issues?

Akash Vishwakarma

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

vish_99 wrote:

1. Why am I not able to start map with default vm.game.type value?

Maybe a packaging issue. The default value of 0 should work when all necessary engine files are in place. Maybe that's not the case for OpenSUSE.

vish_99 wrote:

2. Is any thing wrong in the pacakages as mentioned by Viech at github unvanquished issue 512?

As I said in that post, if the listing given by Sherif89 is complete, a file is missing in the OpenSUSE package as far as I know. Note that I'm not an engine developer though (and as explained in the thread, some file names are just to cryptic for everyone else to understand).

vish_99 wrote:

3. Should I report a bug at github unvanquished issues?

I think the existing issue is fine given that it seems to match your problem. Feel free to report your specifics in that thread if you want.

We're changing quite a few relevant file names and startup parameters in the next Alpha (0.37.0), which is going to be released this Sunday. I'd wait until then and try to communicate with the OpenSUSE package maintainer afterwards if they fail to provide a working package for that Alpha. (Thoug personally I don't feel responsible to do this. I can provide help if asked for specifics though, given that I'm also packaging the Arch Linux release of Unvanquished.) You may want to show them this thread. They should also read our release post on Sunday.

What we do need, in the long run, is a wiki page that explains packaging the game for a linux distribution. I'll help with this if someone with greater knowledge of the engine starts with an explaination of the basics.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

vish99

Post by vish99 »

Viech wrote:

try to communicate with the openSUSE package maintainer afterwards if they fail to provide a working package for that Alpha

In that case Users who are contributing to Unvanquished project on openSUSE build service. and Page of Unvanquished Project on openSUSE Build Service

Viech wrote:

What we do need, in the long run, is a wiki page that explains packaging the game for a linux distribution. I'll help with this if someone with greater knowledge of the engine starts with an explanation of the basics.

Till you find someone, I think so a basic thread in the development sub-forum on guidelines will be nice precursor to the wiki.

Akash Vishwakarma