VoIP - Some Things can be irritating when using this feature

Get support for Unvanquished.
ViruS
Granger

VoIP - Some Things can be irritating when using this feature

Post by ViruS »

Sorry for the not using the standard conventions but I just want to get to the details quickly.

Firstly, the VoIP can only be used (without jitteriness) with OpenAL enabled, but OpenAL's 'realistic' exponential sound intensities can be painful in combat and can be too quiet when further than 500 units. It would be nice to allow it on SDL or whatever the vanilla setting is. Whenever I use VoIP, I don't play. Whenever the map changes, I just noclip outside the map.

Secondly, VoIP needs its own volume control. The "/voip gain <playerID> <volume multiplier>" also doesn't work so I can't really hear people when I'm playing in combat.

Thirdly, can you add the option 'all' to the voip send targets menu?

edit:
##thly etc.etc. (I'll just add others here):
-Option to adjust codec bitrate (server/client, whichever)

Fuma
Programmer

Re: VoIP - Some Things can be irritating when using this fea

Post by Fuma »

SDL audio suffers from the failure of the quake3 mixer to support anything but 22khz audio properly.

This means that anything else will suffer from absolutely unacceptable playback quality.
It turns out that we use non-22khz audio in a lot of places ( example: the main menu theme ) which makes SDL audio sound terrible.

ViruS
Granger

Re: VoIP - Some Things can be irritating when using this fea

Post by ViruS »

I guess that's an unrelated problem solved.

Still, we need to adjust the OpenAL to become more user-friendly. I find it too loud even through the speakers while VoIP is too soft.
Yes, it may be more realistic but I don't want to burn my ears from my own voice, machineguns and swipes. Especially those swipes. :announce: :bomb: