Bots feedback

Request new features or present your ideas.
Asvarox
Mantis

Bots feedback

Post by Asvarox »

First, they are great and fun. One kept ganging on me while I was trying to move our base as a human. Also, they didn't whine when I moved RC without notice, that's cool too!

1) Probably related to niveus navmesh, when I built node @ crates here, bots weren't moving after spawning, I had to push them back and move nodes below. Also, anti-spawnblock doesn't work on them.

2) After building for humans, I did so for aliens too. I noticed they were getting stuck quite often, but this one was the most "serious". There were all six bots camping as rants, they only moved to U-Hall when a human was going this way, but returning shortly after they've killed him. It probably had something to do with the fact, that human base was right above them. I have also encountered a teammate bot in aliens default trying to go through wall, pointing at crates room (human base).

3) Couldn't manage to take a screenshot, but I've seen a human with saw rushing our base in window - he just stood in the entrance, pointing at the trapper and trying to kill it from afar. From what I've noticed, he wasn't trapped (but won't bet on it too!).

Fuma
Programmer

Re: Bots feedback

Post by Fuma »

Asvarox wrote:

First, they are great and fun. One kept ganging on me while I was trying to move our base as a human. Also, they didn't whine when I moved RC without notice, that's cool too!

1) Probably related to niveus navmesh, when I built node @ crates here, bots weren't moving after spawning, I had to push them back and move nodes below. Also, anti-spawnblock doesn't work on them.

2) After building for humans, I did so for aliens too. I noticed they were getting stuck quite often, but this one was the most "serious". There were all six bots camping as rants, they only moved to U-Hall when a human was going this way, but returning shortly after they've killed him. It probably had something to do with the fact, that human base was right above them. I have also encountered a teammate bot in aliens default trying to go through wall, pointing at crates room (human base).

3) Couldn't manage to take a screenshot, but I've seen a human with saw rushing our base in window - he just stood in the entrance, pointing at the trapper and trying to kill it from afar. From what I've noticed, he wasn't trapped (but won't bet on it too!).

TBH, I knew the bots were not ready for release yet. This was done without my knowledge, but oh well no harm done.
The problem with 1 and 2 is a known problem with navigation mesh generation on niveus. I didn't have navigation mesh drawing to debug the problem in the released codebase. I have navigation drawing on my local build, but evidently forgot about it :). I'll look at it now.

3 is going to be a problem for psaws (alien buildings out of reach) until I make the bots take their weapon's range into account when choosing targets.

I've been doing a pretty large improvement to the navigation system for a while now. It was stalled due to finals and mid terms the past month or so, but now its summer so it should come along faster.

When its finished, the bots should generally have far less problems with navigation and be able to avoid obstacles (buildings, other bots) a lot better.

KenuR
Tyrant

Post by KenuR »

I'm loving the bots so far, they have a very good AI and are very fun to play with
some issues I've spotted so far:
human bots tend to get stuck a lot on some maps (spacetracks)
on nexus6 a lot of humans just camped at the base for some reason
rants tend to get stuck near narrow openings if you go through them

otherwise, good job! I'm looking forward to updates

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

The weirdness will be fixed after I compile some new navmeshes for the bots, and after Fuma fixes a few bugs that he previously mentioned. At the moment, if a bot is stuck, feel free to teamkill! Either that, or gently nudge the bot out of the place it's stuck in.

JOURNEYMAN
Dragoon

Post by JOURNEYMAN »

Grab reality by the balls and squeeeeze!