jetpack changes

Request new features or present your ideas.
KenuR
Tyrant

jetpack changes

Post by KenuR »

We all know that in most cases jetpack is not only useless, but promotes camping and is a waste of credits. So I thought it would be a neat idea to make it like the jetpack in Firefall beta. In Firefall the jetpack is fast and you can only fly for a few seconds. When all the energy gets used up the jetpack has to slowly recharge until you can fly again.

The point is to make the jetpack a useful tool in combat rather than a useful tool for camping.

JOURNEYMAN
Dragoon

Re: jetpack changes

Post by JOURNEYMAN »

Jet pack with fuel/power reserve that lasts about 20 to 30 seconds would be better. That should be more than enough time to get to, and also to place buildings on hard to reach places. When the jet is turned off, the fuel/power reserve is recharged at the same rate as stamina. However, having the fuel/power reserve, the jet can be used even without the RC.

Grab reality by the balls and squeeeeze!

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

I like this idea. fast jetpack with small amout of fuel. almost like goon's pounce

danmal

Post by danmal »

This was pretty much my idea for the jetpack as well. The main issue is the handling. Making sure that it's both useful in combat and easy to use out of combat. No doubt some fiddling with speed/acceleration will resolve that issue.

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

There was a patch for this: Mobile jetpack mod in GPP. For me, this destroys the two main useful uses for a jetpack: Building and escaping basilisks. Perhaps something along the lines of JOURNEYMAN'S jetpack fuel would be good, but it can only be restored at an armoury/RC/repeater.

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

F50 already produced a mod for this, back when GT was experimenting with development. I'm sure he'd be glad to have his code in-game, I'll send him an email.

KenuR
Tyrant

Post by KenuR »

Ishq wrote:

There was a patch for this: Mobile jetpack mod in GPP. For me, this destroys the two main useful uses for a jetpack: Building and escaping basilisks. Perhaps something along the lines of JOURNEYMAN'S jetpack fuel would be good, but it can only be restored at an armoury/RC/repeater.

how about having two modes for the jetpack that you can switch between. The first one has a limited amount of fuel and works like the current jetpack, while the second one works like I suggested and uses stamina.

Anomalous
Programmer

Post by Anomalous »

Slow recharge is fine, I think; can be faster when in range of the reactor or a powered repeater, but should be slow enough that the player has to spend some time on the ground. Probably at 25%, up to 50% when close to an energy source. Inverse square seems suitable, though this may cause camping by the repeater or reactor to recharge as fast as possible.

There should be some sort of penalty when selling a partially-charged jetpack, else people will have ‘sell jetpack; buy jetpack’ binds: lose some stamina and/or some credits, proportional to remaining recharge time.

For much the same reasons, recharging from an armoury probably shouldn't be possible.

Not being able to activate the jetpack if it has less than, say, 5% charge could be interesting too.

Debian and Ubuntu packages (squeeze, wheezy, sid; 12.04, 12.10, 13.04) may work on derivatives

OFFEND! … no, that's not right… ATTACK!

KenuR
Tyrant

Post by KenuR »

Anomalous wrote:

There should be some sort of penalty when selling a partially-charged jetpack, else people will have ‘sell jetpack; buy jetpack’ binds: lose some stamina and/or some credits, proportional to remaining recharge time.

just make it impossible to sell it if it's not fully charged.
just like you can't sell the ckit if it's not recharged.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

@previous guy: Maybe it should recharge faster by standing on a medistat like how stamina is replenishment is stacked.
I like KoRx's jetpack a lot. But having a fast jet that lasts for about 5 seconds as in some games is useless for ckits to accurately build. So in my opinion, the jetpack of KoRx suits best. For those who only play gpp or never heard of the korx mod, here are some info about it:
It moves about twice the horizontal speed (apparently vertical stayed the same, probably to prevent humans to quickly rise away from goons)
Its fuel lasts about 90 seconds with rc, and lasts less without rc ( i think, i probably didn't read it properly ).
Recharges faster with rc, recharges at 60% rate without rc.
Its battery can be depleted by being zapped. (it would be awesome if marauders gained hp from this :/)
It blows up on rare occasions from being zapped to critical fuel level, doing 200 dmg max.
Its battery can be instantly recharged near an armoury, repeater or reactor. (i don't like about it being 'instant', it means the person can constantly jettard in the air next to an repeater)
Creating a mobile jetpack from the source is easy, you just simply edit the pmove file (horizontal movement and air 'friction') and the tremulous.h file (vertical movement and falling time from being attacked)
I did that in my qvm, but it kinda became really hard to hit as a dragoon. It took me about 10 pounces to take down my brother a little bit when i tested it in atcs.