Integrate some stuff from OpenJK?

Request new features or present your ideas.
poVoq
Mantis

Integrate some stuff from OpenJK?

Post by poVoq »

Given similar Quake3 legacies, it would be maybe possible to integrate some stuff from OpenJK ( https://github.com/JACoders/OpenJK ) into the deamon engine?

Maybe it would be cool to have laser-sword fighting for human melee mechanics? The melee based combat in Savage2 for example worked really well in a FPS/RTS hybrid, and right now the mainly melee weapons of the aliens vs the mainly range based weapons of the humans make for a bit loopsided and maybe hard to balance gameplay?

Another interesting thing might be some single-player code (see also RTCW source release?) for some COOP mods or a tutorial campaign?

Ishq
Project Head

Re: Integrate some stuff from OpenJK?

Post by Ishq »

For single player/tutoral stuff, we think we want to have those scripted using Lua and pushed out the community.

Viech
Project Head

Re: Integrate some stuff from OpenJK?

Post by Viech »

If someone implements, say, a stun baton as a human sidearm I wouldn't be opposed to testing it. However, I don't think you need the lightsaber code from JK2 for that since there would be no duels and the weapon would only be seen in first person perspective, which means we could just use standard animations for the attacks.

What I actually tried to port from JK2 once was the secondary fire mode of the imperial repeater, which was a black-hole-ish energy ball with the mass of a bowling ball (judging from the trajectory). I wanted it on the pulse rifle, using all remaining ammo for an AoE stun or slow and minor damage. The stun/slow duration and damage would be based on how much ammo was left but the stun/slow wouldn't last much longer than the time you need to reload afterwards (if at all this long), such that it's mostly good for retreating or as a support weapon. That and for killing off dretches, which the pulse rifle is quite bad at given its price. I still have the code, what I was lacking were particle and sound effects – so if anyone's interested…

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction