Battlesuit color scheme

Request new features or present your ideas.
illwieckz
Project Head

Battlesuit color scheme

Post by illwieckz »

Hey, Stannum have shared two pictures of his WIP battlesuit: [1], [2]. This is WIP, it's just to get some ideas about how it could be.

Seeing these pictures, I've thought I prefer the orange scheme (feel stronger to me, like a bulldozer), but what is your feeling?

I've made some fast-and-dirty copy-pastes over some game screenshot to gives some ideas about how it could feel in-game (these pictures are not in-game pictures, they are collages). The size are probably wrong, the shadows are certainly wrong, there is no ambient color and not colorgrading so it can look out of place, but it can gives you some feeling!

ImageImageImageImageImage

I think the orange one fits better, and you?

Last edited by illwieckz on Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:43 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

This comment is licensed under cc ​​by 4 and antecedent.

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Re: Battlesuit color scheme

Post by kharnov »

Definitely going to go with orange!

Comet_
Mantis

Post by Comet_ »

+1 vote for silver with the orange bits recolored to red as if a medium armor player equipped this monstrous suit over it.

btw looks amazing!

kangz
Programmer

Post by kangz »

+1 on the silver one.

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

Looks cool except the color scheme on those hex-patterns on his legs. Kinda distracting. And i vote for both skins to be available, they are too good to choose only one.

Comet_
Mantis

Post by Comet_ »

gavlig wrote:

Looks cool except the color scheme on those hex-patterns on his legs. Kinda distracting. And i vote for both skins to be available, they are too good to choose only one.

Here, here! :beer: :thumbup:

Tom
Dragoon

Post by Tom »

Hmm, I prefer the silver one.

krtv`

Post by krtv` »

wow, battlesuit looks amazing!!!

tried to do a quick test to see what it would look like with a darker scheme

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

Wow, it's awesome!

Except:

also, this may just be me, but i'm not quite sure what it is, but the models, while they look awesome, they don't "contrast" against the map very well, i'm not sure if it's the texture, lighting, animations, all of the above, or what but they look a bit out of place on the maps and "pop out" in the wrong way, almost as if they're not saturated enough, though it's gotten a bit better as the alphas progressed.

:tongue:

If someone wants to try himself, he can just play with my xcf file, just shot a background with a coherent point of view an play with the colors of the model itself. :wink:

This comment is licensed under cc ​​by 4 and antecedent.

krtv`

Post by krtv` »

another quick test, though, after playing around with color options for a while, the problem seems to be the in game lighting/shadowing as well, models don't cast shadows on them selves properly to create the more realistic "blending in" with the environment effect. this may be more due to the fact that the original model was taken from another position of a light source, but i think it's still note worthy.

for example, look at the back of the lower legs, especially the heels, there are no shadows or shading, at all, making it look rather weird, and creating the "pop out" look.