Split the base game into game modes

Request new features or present your ideas.
kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Split the base game into game modes

Post by kharnov »

To continue on a particular train of thought from the other thread, the idea would be to split the base game into several game modes. You can see this on quite a few online shooter games, but let's go with CS:GO as a good example, especially since I know Ishq plays this game too. The game modes include casual, competitive, and several varieties of death match. Casual allows you to have tactical games with a variety of players while not being too ridiculously complicated, while competitive allows you to have very hardcore games with very skilled people, all of whom communicate via voice chat. Death match, of course, allows you to pick any gun and have your way with it.

Now, I think I've made it very obvious by this point that I never found clan matches to be particularly entertaining. A lot of players, existing and potential, would agree with this. Not everyone wants strict coordination, nor do they want to have to play with the meta-game set up by the old Tremulous clan elite. Some people just want to download a video game that they thought looked cool so that they can run around cool sci-fi maps and shoot aliens with big guns. These people don't want to be stuck with a dretch or a rifle for the entire game while people yell at them for being idiots when they try something new. Some people just want to have fun, and they might have a different idea of fun than you do. We have the assets for this, so why can't we cater to these people?

While keeping the same (or similar) game balance, the economy aspect of the game should be the mutable one. Our casual mode should remove credits and just keep team progression, while making some other things easy for the general player instead of the clan player. Competitive mode should focus entirely on hardcore people that need coordination and skilled clan matches. Death match should remove base building entirely and have you spawn at random, pre-defined parts of the map with either a random load-out or something that you picked before spawning.

So what do you all think? If we set up servers with these as experiments and way more people play these than stock gameplay, then we know we're doing something wrong.

Comet_
Mantis

Re: Split the base game into game modes

Post by Comet_ »

kharnov wrote:

A lot of players, existing and potential, would agree with this. Not everyone wants strict coordination, nor do they want to have to play with the meta-game set up by the old Tremulous clan elite. Some people just want to download a video game that they thought looked cool so that they can run around cool sci-fi maps and shoot aliens with big guns. These people don't want to be stuck with a dretch or a rifle for the entire game while people yell at them for being idiots when they try something new.

Could not agree more. Super true, and it seems like such an obvious change.

kharnov wrote:

If we set up servers with these as experiments and way more people play these than stock gameplay, then we know we're doing something wrong.

The way that the game is balanced in general would make it hard to successfully implement a deathmatch kind of game mode unless it was an instakill gamemodes (similar to Warsaw and Quake) since the weapons vary so greatly. However, I would advise against that since it really doesn't fit the game. Don't get me wrong, a deathmatch could be very fun with Unvy's already existing system, however I feel like it needs to be more carefully implemented to fit Unvy's unique gameplay style and still keep balance in check. For example, CSGO can make a dumb deathmatch because all the people have full health of 100 when they spawn and have access to the same guns.

A casual game mode with no building could be seen getting more play at first because we might have an influx of newer players, but I feel like building is such an integral component to this game that I find it hard to imagine people, as they get more experienced with the game, not wanting to try out new bases and setups.

However, I can see myself wanting to enjoy a faster-paced point and click shooter when I don't feel like building or playing competitively. My vote is yes for but with some careful reservations.

krtv`

Post by krtv` »

i'm not too opposed to this, but it's obvioulsy a very very very longterm goal. i'm not too fond of splitting playerbases, but i'm also greatly fond of giving players choices.

aliencat

Post by aliencat »

Yes I agree, focus on the main game mode first. Then you can do all sort of funny things. Perhaps other game modes should be scripted if possible and not in the code itself. I however would think it would be pretty fun with a more death match gameplay and faster movement. An issue is that you probably always want to use guns in that case so perhaps you would be forced to join aliens since humans would be so popular. A death match mode would probably mean that aliens and human would be become more equal.

Then there is a question of the objective, should you still destroy the others base and kill all opponents? Or would it be some kind of capture the flag or the like?

The idea is interesting however. :cool:

illwieckz
Project Head

Post by illwieckz »

Then there is a question of the objective, should you still destroy the others base and kill all opponents? Or would it be some kind of capture the flag or the like?

I think of a game mode where both team try to capture zones (a bit like the Graffiti game mode of Tony Hawk's games but using the building mechanism) could be good. There is already some mechanism like that with the mining system, but the game would be to capture some zones (placing and keeping a particular structure in the zone for example), and the wining team will be the team with more captured zone at timelimit. Also, this game mode enforce a timelimit without being frustrating (it never prevents to win, and since you need the timelimit to win, you feel right), and many short games is better for casual gamers than long lasting games for amateurs. With that game mode you keep both the rts and the fps part of the game, it's just a different rule to decide who win the game.

Also, sometime I think about having some "next map" decision based on the current game. For example a world with many parts, and the issue of the match (if aliens or humans win) decides for a special part or another part, so the "capture zone" mechanism is given between matches, and each match can have the "traditional" game play for competitive games.

Also, we can mix both ideas. For casual fun game, a zone capturing gameplay with a team-based mapvote mechanism where the next map loaded is the one chosen by the winning team. With that, you can get short games without timelimit frustration plus the motivation to play the next game as a reward.
Look at the purple peaks on this graph (GoldenEye: Source popularity on my servers) :

This is one of the less played game on my server, but when some people come and when they reach a certain amount of players, people just comes out from nowhere to play only one game or two, and it can last hours of continuous play with tens of games only played by people who only plays two games. I configured 15min game rounds.

You can also watch the popularity of the Smokin Guns server in the graph above (red curve), Smokin' Guns have a very tiny and confident player base, perhaps smaller than ours, but this player base is more devoted. I configured a 10min games. It's just easy games to play casually. Since 10min is short, it's easy for the player to think "let's play one more time" so for people plays for hours because they thinks it's only for 10 minutes. :p In fact, there is less people playing Smokin’ Guns on my server than people playing Unvanquished on my server, but Smokin' Guns players play longer. You get the same behavior with Xonotic (blue curve).

Also, we need a casual game play allowing to have fun with small player base, like 1 vs. 1. This two examples (GoldenEye: Source and Smokin' Guns) are already fun 1v1. We need a game mode where it's possible to have fun on 1v1. Perhaps a zone capturing gameplay can fit that need too. The Graffiti mode in Tony Hawk's was playable on Playstation, with two players only.

This comment is licensed under cc ​​by 4 and antecedent.

poVoq
Mantis

Post by poVoq »

Yes, a fun game-mode that can be played with few people would be definitely nice. However I don't think splitting player bases is a good idea.

I would rather use it as a "warm-up" mode, i.e. the servers always start with a Human V.S. AI mode of waves of aliens attacking a human base, and once there are sufficient players on the server, they can vote to switch to a PvP match.

Edit: and also back, so that if there are only few players left the A.I. can take over the alien side again (obviously without complex base building or such).