Make big maps and split them to multiple little maps

Request new features or present your ideas.
illwieckz
Project Head

Make big maps and split them to multiple little maps

Post by illwieckz »

I don't know if you ever played to Goldeneye 007 on Nintendo 64 :grin: , or the Source mod which revives this awesome game, but the is a special multiplayer map in it, named “library”, that have an upper level and a basement level. The upper level is playable as the map “stack”, and the basement is playable as the map “basement”, and the whole level is playable as the map “library”. :wink:

You can see through some grid between floors:

Some corridors are closed by grid:

Or open:

During the devgame today, someone said he has the source of Pulse map and the permission to publish them under open source licence. Large and awesome maps like Pulse could be a good candidate for that: playable entirely for long-lasting epic match with many people, and it could be splitted to smaller maps for fast gameplay in small committee. :thumbup:

Bonus, after that, we could imagine a special mechanism that decide the next map depending on the outcome of the current match, associated with a multipart map, it could give an awesome gameplay: not only protect your base, but unlock the next part of the map. Two possibilities: unlock (enlarge the map), or just play the other part, established that the first was definitely won. If human or alien win, do not play the next map on the same part, according to who has won before. :thumbup: :thumbup:

This comment is licensed under cc ​​by 4 and antecedent.

Viech
Project Head

Re: Make big maps and split them to multiple little maps

Post by Viech »

I think we could make about four maps out of Thunder. I'd still get lost on each and every one of them.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

illwieckz
Project Head

Re: Make big maps and split them to multiple little maps

Post by illwieckz »

Well, loading thunder today reminds me this idea.

A good idea to achieve that would be to allow the layout system to define if a door can be opened in the current game or not, with some logic in the map file to display differently the door when it is locked due to the layout, and when the layout allows to open it, for example using a different texture/light/model according to the door state in the layout.