Boring Camping Games

Request new features or present your ideas.
spudwebb
Debugger

Boring Camping Games

Postby spudwebb » Mon May 05, 2014 12:53 am UTC

how to avoid boring camping games.
Generally I take that to mean, avoid human camping, since aliens tend not to camp. However, it would be nice to try some new was of also rewarding alien offense with more fun.

I'll just throw some out there, maybe some discussion will start. I'm just brainstorming.

1. Create general incentives for offense
a. Give morph points / human credits for destroying enemy buildings.
This would encourage offensive behaviour and less building spam.
b. Give players an offense bonus and stats boost after they destroy a building. eg. +10% speed, +bite damage, +healing
c. Give players a rallying cry when they kill enemy buildings
d. Give additional bonuses for momentum.

2. Create offensive structures. This could take many shapes eg:
a. an alien creep structure that grows towards human structures and saps their power, deactivating nearby human structures. Humans could shoot at the creep to clean the floor or walls for a very short period, but unless they take out the building it would re-grow. This would ensure they have to leave their base.

b. a human structure like a tank, that slowly moves towards alien structures and provides shelter for humans behind it, crushing any structures it rolls over (although humans might not need help, once they get lucies it's hard to keep any alien structures up.)

c. A command and control structure. With this structure you can give people orders about where they should attack. The players receive visual cues that guide them to carry out the type of offense you've asked for, anyone you pair them up with becomes easier to find in case they're separated.

d. an alien structure that 'poisons the well' near human drills, causing them to blow up violently when they suck up the poison.

e. Give humans the chance to build a 2nd reactor, but only if they are far enough away from their first reactor. Or only after they've retrieved something from the alien base.

3. Create ways to more easily coordinate offense

4. create dis-incentives for humans to sit in their base or run back to turrets for shelter
a. Turrets no longer hold their fire if a friendly unit is in the way, they'll shoot through you to get at the alien. Stray bullets also hit other structures.

5. Give aliens new ways to take out turrets.
a. Dretch can jump at a turret and grab onto it, preventing it from firing. Turret still turns around taking dretch for a ride. Maybe the dretch can swing it's body weight around and aim the turrets so they shoot at friendly structures/humans.
b. allow advance marauder electric attack to go through walls and floors/ceilings.
c. allow advanced marauder to absorb electicity from repeaters, tesla generators and release as a powerful blast.
d. Improve tyrant stampedes against structures, charging through them and leaving them in pieces.
e. allow granger spit to interfere with human buildings, until cleaned they no longer work.

6. Try different game modes. Eg. Clan Arena. No buildings. Last man standing wins for their team.

7. Create 'prizes' to go get in each base, like counting coup. Eg:
a. First human to damage the overmind gains a unique bonus, but the bonus goes away if he doesn't to damage for a pre-determined time. Once lost, the bonus is available for someone else to go get.
b. first human to kill a granger gets a bonus, but he only keeps it while he keeps killing grangers.

8. Incentivise FWD bases.
a. Give builder units more offense. Grangers and engineers are pretty much no threat. This makes building fwd bases harder. Make building fwd bases easier and more rewarding to encourage spread over the map.
Ishq
Project Head

Re: Boring Camping Games

Postby Ishq » Tue May 06, 2014 7:38 pm UTC

Interesting ideas. Do you think you could flesh some of these out some ore to create specific things to try.
Viech
Project Head

Postby Viech » Tue May 06, 2014 8:35 pm UTC

Responsible for: & , (map), (map texture editor), (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction
spudwebb
Debugger

Postby spudwebb » Wed May 07, 2014 2:35 am UTC

ViruS
Granger

Postby ViruS » Wed May 07, 2014 12:22 pm UTC

GORE
Dretch

Postby GORE » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:20 pm UTC

illwieckz
Project Head

Postby illwieckz » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:11 pm UTC

I still don't understand why the dretch ability to bite structures was removed.

Biting successfully a turret as drecth is a skill I don't have and it's still hard to me, but I can't understand why a whole team of dretch can't do nothing against an empty base. It also means a whole team of dretch without om and eggs can't win if the human team have telenode, but a whole team of naked humans without reactor and telenodes can win if the alien team have eggs.
This comment is licensed under cc ​​by 4 and antecedent.
Ishq
Project Head

Postby Ishq » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:36 pm UTC

It was added back for this week's devgame! Also, the experimental changes in the devgames have made games less boring (although slightly one sided.).
GORE
Dretch

Postby GORE » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:13 am UTC

Much appreciated! :thumbup: Wish we could have games scheduled more often so more testing and feedback could be made....
Ishq
Project Head

Postby Ishq » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:58 pm UTC

Me too. If we can get sustained interest for multiple devgames a week, I'd be really happy. Unfortunately, we don't get that yet. Hopefully, we'll have full servers all day as we start ramping up towards beta.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”