Resources Feedback

Post any feedback you have about the game here.
JOURNEYMAN
Dragoon

Re: Resources Feedback

Post by JOURNEYMAN »

Ah! I see. I agree that this is yet another way to attack the enemies. I just couldn't build the leeches fast enough to get back the stage 3. Only way to defeat this kind of attack is to destroy the enemy RGS. This will definitely make camping even more difficult.

Grab reality by the balls and squeeeeze!

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

I just remembered the old [W]onder days where I was usually the team "ninja builder" that would literaly fight using ckit through instant building and build in opponents...

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

JOURNEYMAN
Dragoon

Post by JOURNEYMAN »

I really like the fact that stage up is no longer dependent on building RGS. Previously, it was very frustrating building drills or leeches just to stage up and having them destroyed because there was no bp left to build dedicated defenses around it. I also liked that the "confidence level" you get is higher when building closer to the enemy base. With the new system, building forward bases and generally being aggressive on building is more advantageous than camping. Not to mention being able to build more useful structures while advancing toward the enemy base.
I noticed that the rate of "confidence level" necessary for staging up gets increased as time progresses. It was difficult to catch up to this rate increase on larger maps while building alone.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Thank you for the feedback!

JOURNEYMAN wrote:

I noticed that the rate of "confidence level" necessary for staging up gets increased as time progresses. It was difficult to catch up to this rate increase on larger maps while building alone.

The decrease rate of the confidence is based on its current value. On the games you played that was achieved by giving each confidence generating event a liffetime of ten minutes, during which its effect was decreased linearly. In the future we will simply make the decrease rate proportional to the actual value, effectively leading to exponential decrease. The half life time we will be trying first is five minutes, so during five minutes, your confidence will get halved.

Additionally we introduced g_minimumStageTime with an initial value of 60s. If you reach a higher stage, you will get a bonus that will keep you on that stage for atleast 60s. (Consequently, stagedown thresholds have been removed and will effectively be equal to the stageup thresholds.)

If we keep the S3 thrshold at the double value of the S2 threshold, this means that once you reach S3, you will have a guaranteed minute on S3 and will fall back to S1 if you do nothing over the next six minutes.

This keeps us with four values that can be tweaked for optimal gameplay (with their current values):

g(alien|human)Stage2Threshold (150), g(alien|human)Stage3Threshold (300), g_confidenceHalfLife (5 min) and g_minimumStageTime (60 s).

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

I've kinda grown bored of the resources system for some reason. Maybe it's just the lack of players. There's too much of a 'slippery slope' type action. (Basically, if you're winning, you're more likely to win by quite a lot, it's like have a power ontop of your win/loss ratio number if it were to exist.)

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

ViruS wrote:

I've kinda grown bored of the resources system for some reason. Maybe it's just the lack of players. There's too much of a 'slippery slope' type action. (Basically, if you're winning, you're more likely to win by quite a lot, it's like have a power ontop of your win/loss ratio number if it were to exist.)

Yeah, there should be a possibility for either team to win at any point in the game. This keeps both teams on their toes, and increases suspense throughout the match. If the suspense drops off after a point, people are more likely to stop playing or become uninterested.

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

Yeah, a similar point has been brought up with the devs and that's why we are moving to a system based on momentum of a team instead of resources.

JOURNEYMAN
Dragoon

Post by JOURNEYMAN »

I noticed that human radar doesn't detect some alien structures such as acid tubes and barricades.

Well, new update seems to have fixed it.

JOURNEYMAN
Dragoon

Post by JOURNEYMAN »

There are no bots on Thunder