Alpha 12 review

Post any feedback you have about the game here.
WhiteTech
Mantis

Alpha 12 review

Post by WhiteTech »

So as I said before installer was great!

I got to playing it shortly after and tried out the new resource system

Turning on rim and bloom was amazing, optimizations were great, no FPS lag to speak of.

New bots: are incredible, although on some maps they really get stuck, mostly at the armory. Just before I stopped playing 2 bots were just at the arm constantly reloading the whole game.

I wanted to tackle 2 things

Resource trial: great system, similar to a lot of GPP mods. Seems like it gains resources too quick, but I think you guys tried to balance that by upping the cred/evo gain up? We had like 20 hives and like 30 tubes, and humans had the same with turrets and telsas. Bit over doing I think. But we won't know until we get a full game of actual players. This was based off of 2 of us attacking the base while all the bots were stuck doing what ever.

Motion blur: This is the biggy I wanted to talk about. I know it's a brand-new feature, but these are my thoughts from my trails with it. It seems to be velocity base only, not velocity and not POV motion change. I think adding rotational blur would be very neat. Like in most modern games

The actual performance was pretty poor. It did look pretty, but of course the default speed it started at was 600, generally anything but a goon couldn't get that fast unless they fell off something. I know it's possible to change when it starts, but then it gets to be wayyyy to much when you get going fast. So perhaps an exponential with a cap on blur would fix it

And once I did use a goon to see it, I would pounce and land, and while Im already stopped, the motion blur would start and stop. So there's a lag. Not sure if that's a ping thing, but I don't think it would matter because it's client based?

It also seemed very choppy, Since the goon pounce is instant acceleration, so is the blur's, and it looks pretty bad when that happens.

So suggestions for motion blur: Other then what I already said with the blur when the camera is moved and the odd lag, perhaps adding an exponential curve to it, lowering the start speed, adding a cap to how much blur you can have, and a smoothing. So it's not: Nothing, BLUUURRR, Nothing.... Just even a very small blur transition just to "round off" the stop and start of the blur.

I also think when humans sprint there would be a slightly different blur and perhaps bobble. I think this would give a nice polish and make sprint more noticeable.

Other things: I didn't get to try the wall walk, is the horrible wall transition jerkyness fixed? I think we could be fine with the original very smooth Trem transitions. I don't see why it's really that important to have an adjustable one. Nice to see the goon and mara texture fixed, but I still think they need re-doing along with the basi ;)

A note on the double tap dodge. There should be an option to turn it off. I switched the dodge to Shift like I prefer it, but the double tap still works as well. I tried turning it off with the command, but it didn't work.

Perhaps the creep idea? I think the architecture is there, you already have the build spheres, now you just need a script to apply a repeating texture on all static world geometry. although my knowledge of coding is 0, so I don't even know if that's possible.

And is there any chance that usable gun sights are going to be in the works? All the new guns have beautiful reflex or iron sights, but are unusable.

As an overall response to 12, it's I think very amazing. Can't wait to see the new models you guys have!

ViruS
Granger

Re: Alpha 12 review

Post by ViruS »

Doubletap dodge: There is, I don't use menus but there's a cvar for it. Do /cvarlist *double to find the cvar, set it to 0 msecs.
Blur: Agreed. You're lucky that you're able to see it though :'(

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

WhiteTech
Mantis

Post by WhiteTech »

You couldn't see the blur? That seems odd....

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

WhiteTech wrote:

You couldn't see the blur? That seems odd....

This is a typed up quote, cbf searching for it:

kharnov wrote:

Yet again, this feature will only be available on the GL3 renderer.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage