Your thoughts on the skulls in the base of the NEW egg model?

Post any feedback you have about the game here.

Do you think the skulls in the base of the egg make sense to you?

Yes, makes perfect sense.

42%

Makes some sense...

No votes

Meh. 50/50

No votes

Makes little sense...

13%

No, makes absolutely no sense at all.

17%

I don't care.

13%

What skulls?

17%

Total votes: 24
rhez
Dretch

Your thoughts on the skulls in the base of the NEW egg model?

Post by rhez »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l7gy3yac0z7gf ... en_Egg.jpg
Do you think the skulls in the base of the egg make sense to you? Provide your opinion here. If your response is "What skulls?", look carefully at the image again.

My opinion: No. Makes no sense at all.
Rationale: There were no humans around when the first Granger spawned. Granger builds new eggs... where did the skulls come from? HAX!
Suggestion: Replace them with something else like models of vines/arteries/veins/trunks of creep of the egg.

Edit: Those of you who really can't see the skulls, here's a 9gag-style representation for you: http://i.imgur.com/pNDtE.jpg

_RRRR___H___H_EEEEE_ZZZZZ_
_R___R__H___H_E________Z__
_RRRR___HHHHH_EEEEE___Z___
_R___R__H___H_E______Z____
_R____R_H___H_EEEEE_ZZZZZ_
Now that's what I call a Rhez-olution.
Avatar image by Akele (CC BY-SA)

Gireen
Graphic Designer
Clan: [DoH]

Re: Your thoughts on the skulls in the base of the NEW egg model?

Post by Gireen »

They must be replaced with these.
http://www.tehcute.com/pics/201108/sinking-cats.jpg
EVERYTHING ELSE MAKES NO SENSE!!! Image

fear ma engrish :granger:

Dandoombuggy
Modeler

Post by Dandoombuggy »

It makes perfect sense (well of course I would say that.) I was going with the idea that the creep feeds the alien structures with organic matter. The creep below the egg is acting like a stomach, stripping flesh from the bone and feeding it to the egg. W/e really it looks empty without it.

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

(04:17:46 PM) kharnov: the skulls make perfect sense to me because the humans are never the ones attacking first, they're the ones responding to existing invasions and dead humans have been fed to the eggs for sustenance

Anomalous
Programmer

Post by Anomalous »

Then why not also dead aliens? Tyrant skulls? Dretch skeletons? Organic matter from those could have been stripped off too – why should the creep be selective about what food is gathered?

Assuming that the egg grows like the other MD5 models, we're going to see growing skulls there. Explain that.

Those skulls, not to put too fine a point on it, are WRONG. I'd rather have only the old models than have that skull present.

Debian and Ubuntu packages (squeeze, wheezy, sid; 12.04, 12.10, 13.04) may work on derivatives

OFFEND! … no, that's not right… ATTACK!

Khaoz
Graphic Designer

Post by Khaoz »

Anomalous wrote:

Then why not also dead aliens? Tyrant skulls? Dretch skeletons? Organic matter from those could have been stripped off too – why should the creep be selective about what food is gathered?

Assuming that the egg grows like the other MD5 models, we're going to see growing skulls there. Explain that.

Those skulls, not to put too fine a point on it, are WRONG. I'd rather have only the old models than have that skull present.

Probably because these aliens aren't cannibals.
I'm sure the base of the egg could already have the skull when you first initially build it and then the egg grows afterward (this is off-topic).
We're trying to see if having human skulls is plausible in the lore of this game, which it is.

Also, stop trying to be a DevHC wannabe, the oversized 'wrong' is not necessary.
Especially coming from another developer.

Anomalous
Programmer

Post by Anomalous »

Khaoz wrote:

Probably because these aliens aren't cannibals.

They may not kill each other for food, but who's to say that they wouldn't… recycle their dead in some way?

I'm sure the base of the egg could already have the skull when you first initially build it and then the egg grows afterward (this is off-topic).

Is it? Seems relevant to me.

We're trying to see if having human skulls is plausible in the lore of this game, which it is.

It may be appropriate to have them as objects found in maps, but in (as part of) buildables? Give a trapper a thigh to gnaw on! Give an acid sprayer an abdomen to dissolve! Give the overmind a whole pile of body parts!

(Also, this taints grangers.)

Debian and Ubuntu packages (squeeze, wheezy, sid; 12.04, 12.10, 13.04) may work on derivatives

OFFEND! … no, that's not right… ATTACK!

killing time
Programmer

Post by killing time »

This poll is deficient. I cannot locate my response, "What skulls?", anywhere in the list of options.

Kynes

Post by Kynes »

1. Realism/plausibility isn't a really big deal
  2. This isn't that big of a leap of the imagination compared to the existence of eggs in the first place
  3. This egg looks badass
Fuma
Programmer

Post by Fuma »

killing time wrote:

This poll is deficient. I cannot locate my response, "What skulls?", anywhere in the list of options.

Ditto for me, even after looking at it for a while.

So I added the option to the poll and then voted :p