Interesting bot observations.

Post any feedback you have about the game here.
ViruS
Granger

Re: Interesting bot observations.

Post by ViruS »

I think the best solution, yet hard is somehow to get bots to detect doors and buttons etc.
For example when nearing a door, don't just run face-first into the door as a human, get close and move back a bit like how players do when they're concious. Actually, do you guys know any games where bots actually can "detect the map?" Usually they just follow path meshes or so...

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

Amazonian1515
Mantis

Post by Amazonian1515 »

I don't know what map I was on, but it looked like a remake of ATCS, with a few difference, namely no bunker in middle, it's entrance was in the middle, but on the side.

Anyways, the 4 bots all started to huddle in one dead-end, jumping on each other, and when killed, went back there.

KenuR
Tyrant

Post by KenuR »

ViruS wrote:

I think the best solution, yet hard is somehow to get bots to detect doors and buttons etc.
For example when nearing a door, don't just run face-first into the door as a human, get close and move back a bit like how players do when they're concious. Actually, do you guys know any games where bots actually can "detect the map?" Usually they just follow path meshes or so...

Honestly, it wouldn't be too hard to code, but I don't think it would be all that useful really.

Amazonian1515
Mantis

Post by Amazonian1515 »

Amazonian1515 wrote:

I don't know what map I was on, but it looked like a remake of ATCS, with a few difference, namely no bunker in middle, it's entrance was in the middle, but on the side.

Anyways, the 4 bots all started to huddle in one dead-end, jumping on each other, and when killed, went back there.

Ah, the map is Platform 23.

JOURNEYMAN
Dragoon

Post by JOURNEYMAN »

That's a known issue on Platform 23 and other maps that has stage up doors. See a couple of previous posts. That dead end is actually a stage up door that opens when each team reaches certain stage. Same thing happens on Citadel.

Grab reality by the balls and squeeeeze!

Amazonian1515
Mantis

Post by Amazonian1515 »

I do know of them, but wouldn't the bots take the route that is first available?

Also, are the paths set when creating a map, or do the bots' AI analyse the map and create them?

rhez
Dretch

Post by rhez »

The navmeshes are set on the map (as you can tell from the separate pk3s in the main folder, i.e. all the atcshd-*.navMesh files in navmesh-default-0.2.pk3 are associated with map-atcshd-gpp2.pk3), so the bots already know their possible paths. However, they must decide what path to choose before actually traveling anywhere (i.e. if a human bot has low health, take the path to the nearest medistation, or if an alien bot decides to flank the enemy, etc).

_RRRR___H___H_EEEEE_ZZZZZ_
_R___R__H___H_E________Z__
_RRRR___HHHHH_EEEEE___Z___
_R___R__H___H_E______Z____
_R____R_H___H_EEEEE_ZZZZZ_
Now that's what I call a Rhez-olution.
Avatar image by Akele (CC BY-SA)

JOURNEYMAN
Dragoon

Post by JOURNEYMAN »

When an alien bot is directly on top of a human bot they just don't do anything. They just stand still and face off each other. Other bots in the vicinity, especially the human bots, don't do anything either. They just stand there and watch. Unfortunately I don't have the screen shot of this but this usually happens at the corner when an alien bot somehow jumps on top of a human bot.

Grab reality by the balls and squeeeeze!

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

In this case, the entire alien base was gone and that dretch was the only alien left.

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

I've spoken to Fuma about bots, and he's working on some navigational fixes. Let's see where it goes.