Opinions.

Post any feedback you have about the game here.
CocaneStyle

Opinions.

Post by CocaneStyle »

Being an old veteran of tremulous and playing just a little I'd though I'd give my opinion and impression on some things.

The human turrets are way too unreliable.
They take way too long to fire because they have to face the enemy and windup before they can engage.

I suggest the windup be removed and range increased but to compensate, have a limited field of horizontal fire.
This means turrets become more focused on covering entrances over an area, which makes them severely unreliable.

I don't know if I am interpreting this wrong but, does the helmet and battlesuit not reduce headshot damage?
Please correct me if I am wrong but that seems counter intuitive and an unneeded change.

The flamethrower changes are great but as an anti-building weapon, it and the grenade become weak as aliens build on walls.
I suggest the battlesuit makes the wearer fireproof which would help make it far less risky to use.

Painsaw appears to be way too weak right now considering.

The chain-gun is way too inaccurate, in fact it's so inaccurate the screen shake it makes doesn't hamper it at all.
I suggest you dramatically increase it's accuracy, rate of fire, and ammo reserve but reduce it's damage per shot to compensate.

That should mean without a battlesuit unless the alien is facehugging you, you have an actual reason to crouch fire it.

Reduce the damage human buildings deal when they explode to other buildings, right now it's far to punishing to the human team.
Also the medistation's activation animation creates massive FPS drops even on my beast machine, also it obscures vision too much.

The goon barbs regenerate way too fast right now, considering how fast they can destroy buildings and 1-hit humans.

Poison seems unfair, the alien gets to deal extra damage with no effort just because he touched a building.

These are just a few things I felt stood out the most compared to 1.1 and 1.2 on my first couple matches.

Ishq
Project Head

Re: Opinions.

Post by Ishq »

Thanks for the comments.

• The Turrets have not been changed from GPP. But, yes, we are considering some changes to human defense structures.
  • Helmet and battlesuit both significantly reduce headshot damage, but hitting someone in the head will still do more damage than if hit on the body.
  • Painsaw is more of a base attack structure than a weapon used to attack aliens. Take some friends with you and have them defend you while you wreak major havoc in the enemy base.
  • Goon barbs regenerate 5 seconds slower compared to 1.1. THis hasn't been changed from GPP.
  • Poison is because aliens have a stage advantage. Humans get speedy healing with a medkit as well, which they must go back to the medi to replenish, just like poison. Seems okay to me.

btw, what was your alias in Trem? What servers did you play on? Just curious to see which tremmers have checking us out.

CocaneStyle

Post by CocaneStyle »

I don't remember, the last time I played 1.1 or 1.2 was at least a year ago, I first started playing in 1.0 but I don't remember much at all.

I personally think poison is a bad mechanic and would prefer that the booster simply gave aliens a minor fixed damage bonus.
Question, is poison damage affected by armor and does it stack with every hit or does it?

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

CocaneStyle wrote:

Reduce the damage human buildings deal when they explode to other buildings, right now it's far to punishing to the human team.

Just repeater and reactor deal a great amount of damage when they die. Humans are now able to build anywhere without the need for a close power source (with the exception of Drills). They just need a repeater if they want to cluster buildables in one place, so while the system allows for UBP style building it requires humans to put additional weak spots in their base if they do. This is supposed to prevent base layouts that are both mindless and annoying to the aliens. For the aliens, I don't see a reason to move away from the creep approach: If they put a lot of structures in one place they will die as easily as if they were built around a number of repeaters. Our goal is to reward forwarding and widespread building as opposed to overly strong monobases.

CocaneStyle wrote:

Also the medistation's activation animation creates massive FPS drops even on my beast machine, also it obscures vision too much.

I already worked on it (as well as on the medistation textures) and if my modifications will be in the next version then the effect shouldn't obsucre vision anymore (and be less ugly). I have an idea what could lead to the FPS drops (a great number of tcMod effects being mixed) but I'm currently too busy to investigate. When I touch the effect the next time I'll reduce the number of effects used.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Evolution

Post by Evolution »

Hmmm in my opinion this is tremulous with better Graphics but this game not impressive, its to fast to dark and Models is worest then in old tremulous drecht hard to detect (dark colour) like rest of aliens Idk why u dont take this game more colorfull ...
I think u should slow down game speed becouse its to fast for get a pleasure from game ...
This is my opinion... btw sorry for my bad english :yawn:

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

Evolution wrote:

why u dont take this game more colorfull

Tremulous wasn't that.... tremulous, except the times when you're tackling a basilisk or larger when you're playing serious at night time.

The current dretch is more stealthy, and I like that. I do though indeed find it hard to track them because of their thinner models (dretch model actually filled up a huge 45-ish% of its hitbox while the unv only fills up a mere 20%)

icaro440
Marauder

Post by icaro440 »

hi

in my opinion the speed of the game is fine as it is, makes the game more intense and I do not think it 's a good idea to make the environment more bright and colorful, precisely, is that dark and gloomy atmosphere an important point of the game, as allows everyone hide better , surprise the enemy etc etc .

About gameplay changes, I have to admit that at first I did not like much, but now, I 've noticed that both teams advance in the game in a more progressive and balanced way. (if one of the teams is not too noob) so i like it.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Hiding by using the map geometry is fine but we will never introduce stealth by means of darkness or camouflage.

• It isn't fair with regards to different hardware (display panel type and backlight).

• It isn't fair with regards to different settings (gamma, brightness, disabling of effects).

• It is easy to cheat and doing so can hardly be detected.

• Cheating aside, competitive players will adjust their settings to be able to see more. As a result, the game will look bad for them and bad on screenshots.

Apart from that I think it's a misconception that stealth plays a big role in this game. While sneaking onto your enemy and attacking from behind is efficient and encouraged for some classes (as in many other FPSs), I think that the vast majority of fights are fought using movement and aiming. Especially Trem's basilisk which is often considered to be a stealth class is only strong when the player has figured out its movement and can grab you from behind even when attacking up front (or when being spotted while trying to sneak on you).

The only form of stealth that I find significant for the game is sneak attacking bases, which we will try to nerf in the future for various reasons (among others because it is a frustrating way to lose and it doesn't even require teamwork on the winning side).

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Elmo
Dretch

Post by Elmo »

I think people are mistaking common Tremulous ambush tactics as true stealth. The colors and brightness of a map aren't going to affect the ability to stage an ambush in a game at all.

Viech wrote:

The only form of stealth that I find significant for the game is sneak attacking bases, which we will try to nerf in the future for various reasons (among others because it is a frustrating way to lose and it doesn't even require teamwork on the winning side).

Thank god. My high tech future Reactor better have enough power to kill those pesky basilisks and marauders that jump on top.